Apalling actions from an Arriva bus driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Why? The bus was slow to move off and I had a good speed when passing him. I judged the manouvre well and would have aborted it or apologised if I had thought it was a silly thing to do.
The footage will add clarity.
Because the lights are bound to change and then you will be left in potentially a dangerous position. I too would not filter past a bus or any other heavy goods vehicle when they are sitting at lights at the front of the queue. Any cycle instructor will tell you this. Always best to stay behind, you put yourself in their blind spots, so yes, he would have been annoyed. however, he shouldn't have retaliated, gave you the finger or told you he would smack you.

This thread makes me want to get a copy of the highway code and keep it in my pocket. i would love to have seen their faces.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I imagine the second drivers reaction went a little like this once you showed him the highway code.

draft_lens19291059module157977338photo_1332860585_0_.jpg

U

User6179

They both threatened you with violence so forget the depot manager and take the footage to the police and let them deal with it Imo .

Would be surprised if threatening you wasnt a sackable offence .

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Couldn't see myself seeking out the driver after. Although what was captured due to it could see a significant increase punishment and also it highlighted the idiots in the workforce. These guys are going to have fun when the reviews come round.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Matthew you are a star. That guy saying " a car's door length" is a lot of crap. I hope the bus driver gets a warning at least and be made to read the highway code every day for the next 6 months. As for cycle lanes, we all know it is your choice whether you want to use them or not.

That officious prick with the sunglasses is scary:

"One car door's width, that's all we're allowed to give"

He seriously believes that, it's as if his drivers would get in trouble if they overtook cyclists properly. What a horrible, jumped up little napoleon.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Both those guys deserve to have the book thrown at them. Police as well as their boss.
It's appalling that not only do they not know the highway code, they are insistent that their incorrect information is right, and justifies them passing cyclists too close.

Good on you, Matthew!

PK99

Legendary Member
Let's go back to the beginning.

You did a stupid overtake at the lights. When he overtook you it didn't seem to be a punishment pass - and he gave you a fair amount of room compared to many bus overtakes. You claim he was speeding but have no way of proving it.

You then get into confrontation mode. He didn't respond well, and the bit at the garage was pure undeserved boll0cks, but...

...the reality is that YOU started the chain of events. You need to think a little more about how YOU behave on the road.

plus,

Matthew, it was not a set of traffic lights it was a Pelican crossing at which YOU overtook at speed on the Zig-Zags, while the law may not forbid a cyclist doing that, it is certainly unwise. Cyclecraft, page 85
"
Look out particularly for pedestrians making a last minute dash across the road..."

and,

Matthew, you started the finger pointing and gesticulation, he gave you the finger in response to your actions. You still have much to learn about how YOUR behaviour impacts on others.

That is not to defend the subsequent behaviours but, as Reg points out, YOU started the chain of events

Kbrook

Veteran
You overtook the bus originally at a pelican crossing. That's illegal for a car driver to do, I would suggest that when they decided to make it illegal it was because it is a dangerous manoeuvre, although the lights were on green the bus was obstructing your view, how do you know the bus driver wasnt letting a woman with a zimmer frame accross? Crazy cycling, you are far from blameless, seeking confrontation, I don't need you aggravating drivers that I might meet the next day, thanks.
By the way if you are going to ask the police their opinion, find two everyday regular police officers, rather than two PCSOs from the railway, they are never going to have the required knowledge.

By the way I also think the bus driver and other company employees were }{]<>s but as I say you are far from blameless. You may grow up one day.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It wasn't Matthew that approached the PCSOs, it was the bus driver who 'knew' the Highway Code...
(and the PCSOs didn't seem to know it either!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom