Apalling actions from an Arriva bus driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I watched only as far as the moment when the OP stops at the bus garage to seek out the errant driver.

After that, it is likely to be the theatre of the absurd. I haven't seen it and won't comment on it.

Prior to that, the driving is not great. It is below par for a professional driver. We are not being asked to comment by the bus driver, so I'll leave that there.

The antagonistic attitude of the OP is also poor. I make no accusation of provocation, but the finger waging, the audible swearing and the apparent zeal to hunt down and humiliate the driver are there to be seen.

OP, you have history. You have proudly said on these pages that you've had several taxi drivers sacked, only to drop your claim to (a measly) one taxi driver when challenged. You may deny it, but to many on here you look like a teenager who enjoys a little confrontation.

I wouldn't have passed the bus as you did on the zig-zag and on a changing light, but nor do I think it an offence. I just think it unwise and perhaps less mindful than it might be of other road users.

I simply do not understand the finger-wagging and the swearing and the hunt-down of the bus. The OP really does (despite protestations to the contrary) come across as a Mighty Police Interceptor Wannabe.

You will have your supporters, OP.

Yes, the driving was poor. The response from the cyclist seemed immature, attention-seeking and slightly obsessive in a disturbing way.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Having now seen the video....... Your overtake at the Pelican crossing wasn't the smartest manoeuvre I've ever seen, but it doesn't excuse the subsequent actions of the driver. However the scariest part is the other drivers intervention, and his apparent ignorance of the correct procedure for overtaking a cyclist, and our right to use the road whether or not there is a cycle path/lane. As for the PCSOs (from British Transport Police?), they weren't much help; but then they are specifically trained to deal with incidents on railway property.

@Matthew_T: Have you considered reporting the ignorance of basic highway code of these drivers to your local Traffic Commissioner? The TC is the person most feared by professional licence holders (HGV/LGV/PCV) as they hold as much clout (if not more due to less burden of proof required) than the Police and courts. The TC can have them in for a fireside chat, which wouldn't be a pleasant experience, and could result in the suspension of their licence; or at least some re-training.

Ignoring whether he should or shouldn't have carried it on and even ignoring if there was even anything at all to carry on, I'd say Matthews actions have highlighted the ignorance of at least three professional drivers. As a consequence, I reckon there'll be a lot more people in general checking the protocol for passing cyclists and using cycle lanes.

For that I say fair play and well done.

Or it will be three more drivers who have their negative preconceptions of cyclists reinforced...

Perhaps, but I would hope the management will have corrected their ignorance of the Highway Code along the way. They seemed the sort that would have a negative perception of other road users no matter what the reality was, so that's not really a change (IMHO) and at least they'll be aware of cyclists, even if it's a negative perception. It's like when a car horn hoots because you're riding primary. I don't mind, I think 'ah, you've seen me then'.

The message has now got further than just those three initially involved.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Time for you to put the camera away and enjoy your cycling. Its just not worth getting into a verbal fight. Not condoning what the driver did, the pass was a little close, the finger well the driver shouldn't but you've probably lost this guys job with your confrontation. I get far more close passes in city traffic and thats the way it rolls.

You will soon be infamous in Rhyl with all the taxi and bus drivers. Just don't go boozing in town.

akb

Veteran
I watched up to the point where you over took the bus at the crossing. I didnt need to watch any more.

You overtook at a crossing for one; stupid move.

MGIF seemed to be your mentality here. I'd rather have the big fook off lump of metal in front of me then behind me. Twice.

Havent seen the HC part; may watch later with sound.

A non incident if you ask me; caused by your stupid move at the crossing; right at the beginning of the vid. You do nothing for the perception of cyclists from motorists. Why did you have to get in front of the bus? Why did you need to filter pass two vehicles to then be overtaken again? I assume you are familiar with this particular stretch of road so you should know that there are plenty of overtaking opportunities; why put yourself in that position in the first place.

You baffle me Matthew_T.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The bus driver is the professional and should driving in such a way as to allow for an amateur cyclist riding like an idiot.

So the driver's defence 'Matthew did wrong' doesn't stand up.

akb

Veteran
The bus driver is the professional and should driving in such a way as to allow for an amateur cyclist riding like an idiot.

So the driver's defence 'Matthew did wrong' doesn't stand up.

Doesnt stand up....in a court...I agree. But why, as a cyclist, put yourself in that position in the first place? We all share the roads. Why dont we all use a bit of common sense and not ride like an idiot.

(Edit: I'm not implying all cyclists ride like idiots; just Matthew_T in this instance :thumbsup:)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Time for you to put the camera away and enjoy your cycling. Its just not worth getting into a verbal fight. Not condoning what the driver did, the pass was a little close, the finger well the driver shouldn't but you've probably lost this guys job with your confrontation. I get far more close passes in city traffic and thats the way it rolls.

You will soon be infamous in Rhyl with all the taxi and bus drivers. Just don't go boozing in town.

So it's OK to threaten teenagers, swear at them, and (as a professional driver) be ignorant of the highway code and pass cyclists too close? Losing his job would be a bit harsh - retraining would be the best option here. Unless he has previous form.

But you appear to be saying that Matthew should not have said anything in case the guy loses his job?? Matthew may have been a little confrontational, but the guy is in a job with contact with the public, as well as retraining for his driving, he seems to need retraining for dealing with the public.

Davidsw8

Don't waste your time talking to muppet drivers like that. Just know that you have stuff on film and you can report them later.

Couldn't agree more with this, there's no point arguing the toss with someone after the fact. Just get the footage and report them. If something is in progress then by all means address it.

I was in an ASZ yesterday evening at a red light and a guy on a scooter pulled up beside me to my right. I looked at him and said 'you know this is for cyclists?' he says 'oh.... is that 3 points?', I said 'Yes, it is 3 points' then the lights changed and as I moved off, I could hear him let out a hearty laugh. Then, from being on my right, he held back a moment and turned left. I could kick myself I didn't let him go before me cos I didn't get his numberplate.

It wasn't the fact that he didn't know about the ASZ, cos he did, it was the fact that he found it SO funny and simply couldn't give a toss that wound me up.

I might get myself a paper copy of the highway code to keep in my bag though, that's such a good idea.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
To me, that was the implication of the post I quoted. The poster did not condone the actions, so maybe my wording should have been clearer, but if Matthew had not confronted him then he would no doubt carry on driving at that poor standard.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
2 threats of assault from drivers quoting from the Get Out of MyWay Code. I'm not sure that the whole bus depôt doesn't need retraining. And the close pass when there are oncoming vehicles in the other lane was plain bad driving. Failure to read the road ahead, judge the speed of the vehicle he's overtaking and then squeezing in, stealing Matthew's wee bit of road.

Personally, being lazy, I'd not have done the first overtake - I would have slowed down behind the bus and then drafted it as it accelerated away from the green light. We all tend to live in a kind of Morse code kind of world where it's dash-stop-dash-stop, the stop being necessary because of the speed of the dash. Bikes, on the other hand, are very well suited to ride-pootle-ride-pootle mode, where you scrub enough speed to make stops less necessary and keep as much momentum as you can going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom