Apart from me and Screenman, who is tubeless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I cannot see why the big debate on weights, surely the major benefit with going tubeless above all is the fact that you can run much lower pressures than you can with inner tubes and have no fear of getting a pinch puncture.

Because I'm already running 8f/12r with tubes, so I don't need to run lower pressures.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes Lulu I used the full bottle - s'pose it comes down to the fact that once you are riding a 13.8kg bike and you yourself are upwards of 13st an extra 8oz of weight is neither here or there.

lulubel

Über Member
Based on some of your other threads, where you talk about wanting the lightest bike you can afford, that was kind of what I was thinking around. Yes, adding slime to your tubes is minimal in overall weight terms, but it's in the worst place possible because it's all added to the rotating mass at the outer edge of the wheel.

My thinking was, if weight is a concern to you, it's probably worth staying away from the slime and looking at Stans when you get your new bike. You could easily save 200g of rotating mass per wheel (probably more) by using Stans instead of inner tubes with slime. Plus, you then have the advantage of being able to run lower pressures.

Motozulu

Über Member
Good advice Lulu - I like your thinking - the position of the 8oz of weight is something that had'nt occurred.
Weight is an issue - I've gone at it hard this year and probably won't lose much more from 'the engine' so will be looking for a much lighter bike in February so's I can start flying up cardiac hil instead of going up it faster than the speed of molasses :rolleyes: . I'll move away from the slime and will just be prepeared for trackside faffing with flats, but will most deffo look at going tubeless on the new mount in Feb. Good advice all. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom