Apart from me and Screenman, who is tubeless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
What system do you use, UST, Tubeless ready or ghetto?

I'll start. I have Stans rims on both MTBs, running Tubeless ready with stans tape, valves and fluid.

lulubel

Über Member
I'm going to lurk, if that's OK.

It's just occured to me that my OH is a bit heavier and a lot less gentle with her bikes than I am, so I may learn something useful.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
For the record, I tried ghetto on an old pair of Superstar rims, (apparently they're made by Alexrims for Superstar,) but they were small in diameter, so no amount of effort would get them to behave. I used to be able to take tyres of and put them on with pretty gentle thumb pressure, so I guess those rims were a non-starter.

I still have the BMX tubes and plenty of sealant, so I'll try it on Cubester's EX500 rims next time he needs a new tyre.

AlanW

Guru
Best thing I ever did was go tubeless, Mavic Tubeless rims with std Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph tyre combo and Stans "No Tubes"......unbeatable combination IMHO

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What system do you use, UST, Tubeless ready or ghetto?

I'll start. I have Stans rims on both MTBs, running Tubeless ready with stans tape, valves and fluid.
When you say ghetto do you mean stan's kit plus normal rim and tyre ghetto or hacked about 20" tube and some sealant ghetto.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
When you say ghetto do you mean stan's kit plus normal rim and tyre ghetto or hacked about 20" tube and some sealant ghetto.
Hacked about 20 inch BMX inner tube and sealant.

Life's too short. :angry:

I'll try it on a larger rim, but that Superstar one was tiny.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know I promised but here goes,

Tubeless

A tubeless tire system requires an airtight rim — capable of being sealed at the valve stem, spoke holes (if they go all the way through the rim) and the tire bead seat — and a compatible tire. Universal System Tubeless (UST), originally developed by Mavic, Michelin and Hutchinson[10] for mountain bikes is the most common system of tubeless tires/rims for bicycles.[11] The main benefit of tubeless tires is the ability to use low air pressure for better traction without getting pinch flats because there is no tube to pinch between the rim and an obstacle.[10]

lulubel

Über Member
So, that quote says it's the most common, but none of you seem to be using it. Why are you guys using tubeless ready instead? What's different/better about one compared to the other?

screenman

Legendary Member
Using Stans bit and bobs I have just converted normal wheels and tyres to tubeless. I think that is the most common in terms of buying off the shelf, what most of us use is a way of converting standard parts to tubeless with excessive expense.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tubeless on my Giant only, Mavic rims. Thats proper tubeless, not some nasty kit to bodge a cheap rim and tyre together. That rubbish is more if a pain in the arse than fixing a puncture.

And the benefits... Seeing as I wasn't exactly in puncture central to begin with, very little. A bit lighter, but then my wallet would have been seriously lighter too if I'd bought it all myself.

If they'd not come my way gratis I still wouldn't bother.

02GF74

Über Member
I've been toyinig with going tubeless but been put of by what happens if you get puncture or a flat so the tyre goes down. a small hand pump does not supply enough air to seat the tyre; and since I don't plan to buy expensive co2 cartridges, then taking 2 spare inners would mean nay weight saved goes out the window due to carrying 2 tubes instead of 1 that I nirmally carry.

sure there is the ablility to run lower pressure plus less rolling resisitnace, I doubt I'd notice the latter....

screenman

Legendary Member
Drago, you do talk some rubbish sometimes. The conversion kits are extremely good value and do the job well, but how would you know as you have stated you have the proper one's so have not tried the conversion kits.

02GF74, it is not about weight saving and lower air pressure I am sure increases rolling resistance. Why carry 2 inner tubes? how many do you carry now?

I wonder why tubeless is used in most other modern forms of transport, cars, motorbikes, etc.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
things may have moved on but on my old SP370 I used to have to bolt the tyres to the rims to stop them creeping under accelleration/braking at low pressure.

Top Bottom