Apollo Phaze fork replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

I was thinking about some new forks with more travel and I found these amongst others:

http://www.cyclerepairman.co.uk/details.asp?ID=760

I like the 80mm travel and the lockout and the fact that on this site they are £20 than elsewhere :tongue:

Being a n00b... Are they a valid swap for the M2000's that came with the bike?

Do you reckon it's a worthwhile first upgrade, or should I really just see what wears out first and upgrade that?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Upgrade when the existing piece of kit is preventing you from achieving something.

OP
OP
abo

abo

Good point... Well I bottomed out the front sus harshly a couple of times last time I was out. The existing forks are non-adjustable and pretty soft and seeing as I'm tending to ride a lot on road or light trail to get to local rough stuff the lockout looks attractive too.

Lol the next addition will in fact be a cover for the chainstay, the chain rattle is much annoying :tongue:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
OK In that case upgrade. I can't help with the original question however :sorry:
Good point... Well I bottomed out the front sus harshly a couple of times last time I was out. The existing forks are non-adjustable and pretty soft and seeing as I'm tending to ride a lot on road or light trail to get to local rough stuff the lockout looks attractive too.

Lol the next addition will in fact be a cover for the chainstay, the chain rattle is much annoying :tongue:

little_tiny_kev

if your riding road and light trail, you dont really need the suspension, all its doing really is adding weight and releiving a very small amount of pressure from the wrist. Although if your a fan of the rough stuff, get a lock out fork and you have the best of both worlds

OP
OP
abo

abo

if your riding road and light trail, you dont really need the suspension, all its doing really is adding weight and releiving a very small amount of pressure from the wrist. Although if your a fan of the rough stuff, get a lock out fork and you have the best of both worlds

Which was my line of thinking and hence the original post :tongue:

Zoiders

Cheap sus-forks with no oil damping are going to be worse than rigid forks even on single track.

I ride single track, I often ride a rigid MTB, I use suspension for the more hairy stuff like balsting down fire roads at 30+. For comparison I ride the towpaths and old light rail routes nearby on a fixed road bike and I keep passing people on MTB's.

Muddy Ground

CRC do them for £39.99, so you could save some wedge there. Personally I wouldn't bother as you're not going to get much of an improvement. But then again £40 isn't so much of a gamble is it?!

MG

Top Bottom