App called what3words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't know if it's been mentioned on here ,but my pal has just sent me a link to this app.
It can basically find you anywhere using a grid system, ideal for when your cycling, or walking in the back of beyond. Just type in what3words in Google and you can get the website,sorry I can't do links.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep been mentioned before on the forum

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not that exciting. Not every police force or EMS control room use it (rather less than half do, in fact) and many are refusing to do so until the makers allow them to inspect the code. For reasons unknown the makers aren't allowing that.

Every EMS control room in the country uses Vantage or STORM, and all have have access to GIS mapping. If your smartphone is capable of running what3words it's also capable of running a GPS app and producing a grid reference, and control rooms have been able to use grid references of all formats for more than 15 years.

Great in Uganda where your road may not have a name, but of little use in the UK where grid references of all formats are already widely in use and accurate down to a similar resolution.

tom73

Guru
It’s not that great a social an idea. The company won’t make it open source your not free to use it or add to it. Or test out how sound the coding is.The fact that in emergency if you did need to use it. The 1st thing you get asked to is down the app says it all. As @Drago points out not every control use it and it’s not without problems.

It's not that exciting. Not every police force or EMS control room use it (rather less than half do, in fact) and many are refusing to do so until the makers allow them to inspect the code. For reasons unknown the makers aren't allowing that.

Every EMS control room in the country uses Vantage or STORM, and all have have access to GIS mapping. If your smartphone is capable of running what3words it's also capable of running a GPS app and producing a grid reference, and control rooms have been able to use grid references of all formats for more than 15 years.

Great in Uganda where your road may not have a name, but of little use in the UK where grid references of all formats are already widely in use and accurate down to a similar resolution.
Please could you recommend a more useful app that I could put onto my android phone? I like the idea of being able to give an accurate location in case of need....

Top Bottom