App or Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
GPS is... finicky. Go under some trees? Wildly inaccurate signal, or just none. Go through a tunnel? No signal. Take a sharp corner? Bad tracking.

There is no better measure of distance covered than how many times your rear wheel has rotated (excluding endo's :whistle:) provided that the wheel size is correctly calibrated. Calibrating the wheel size can be a bit difficult, since it involves riding your bike in a straight line for a fixed number of wheel rotations, then measuring the distance covered.

Here's an example of the problems with GPS-only speed measurement: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garmin-speed-sensor-wheel-size-setting.189497/#post-3959348
How accurate do non-professional cyclists need their data to be such that the inaccuracy of GPS-only speed measurement is a problem for them?

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
For me? Sometimes? I've lost 10-15 minute chunks of a ride on a mobile app sometimes because the mobile has lost gps signa, or it's buggy. I find that really frustrating, but I don't think it would have motivated me to buy a speed sensor. I bought one because I wanted a cadence sensor and they were part of the same unit.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Someone asked in a previous thread about Garmin vs Phone, and this was my take on the downsides of the phone, and what I liked about the Garmin;

(Downsides of a phone)
For me, battery life, finding a mount that seemed secure enough at a reasonable price, heat build up running the GPS & inability to have the screen on without contributing significantly to that heat build up , weatherproofing.

The Garmin 800 I use hasn't given me any trouble so far[1], loaded with OpenStreetmap mapping, and it leaves my phone to be a phone.

I think it may be the best bike thing I ever bought.

[1] I've ridden pre-planned routes (loaded from RidewithGPS), ad hoc routes using the mapping to follow bike routes and check that "wonder where that goes" roads don't end in dead ends, and let it navigate me back to where I was staying in France when I had to cut a circular ride short unexpectedly in an area I didn't know.

Top Bottom