Apparently, we hold up ambulances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Publisher of the New European and many regional newspapers including the Weston and Somerset Mercury, a competitor of Trinity Mirror who publish the Bristol Pest.

Without reading the link (comments in a news paper are usually from depressing trolls), at best if we didn't cycle, we'd be in cars adding a larger block to congestion and actually holding up ambulances and at worst more of us would be unhealthy and place an excess demand on ambulances :sad:

Yebbut....

Cars blocking the ambulance is not a problem.... obvious innit

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
There is a busy dual carriageway near me with almost no cyclists but I often see ambulances struggling to make their way through the queues. Presumably paramedics will also be calling for cars to be banned from busy roads at peak times - they should be able to get through without any problems with all the cars out the way.

As an aside, working in a hospital A&E staff seem to have a real downer on cyclists, if a cyclist (or motorcyclist) comes in injured it must be their fault or they were drunk but if a car driver comes in it must be some tragic accident.

subaqua

What’s the point
There is a busy dual carriageway near me with almost no cyclists but I often see ambulances struggling to make their way through the queues. Presumably paramedics will also be calling for cars to be banned from busy roads at peak times - they should be able to get through without any problems with all the cars out the way.

As an aside, working in a hospital A&E staff seem to have a real downer on cyclists, if a cyclist (or motorcyclist) comes in injured it must be their fault or they were drunk but if a car driver comes in it must be some tragic accident.

Yeah I got that impression when I got offed last year

Floating Bombus

Seems to vary. I've heard of someone getting criticism from A&E for not wearing a helmet when he was being treated for an elbow injury but when I got offed last summer and ended up in A&E (nothing serious), neither paramedic nor anyone in A&E made any negative comments at all. Nor did the driver who collided with me or who I collided with (50/50).

Reactions: mjr

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Without reading the link (comments in a news paper are usually from depressing trolls), at best if we didn't cycle, we'd be in cars adding a larger block to congestion and actually holding up ambulances and at worst more of us would be unhealthy and place an excess demand on ambulances :sad:

Well this is what I don't get. Some moton's want us off the road, and if we did, en masse, then it would be far worse out there for congestion then it already is. I'm at a loss at their thinking.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well this is what I don't get. Some moton's want us off the road, and if we did, en masse, then it would be far worse out there for congestion then it already is. I'm at a loss at their thinking.
They only ever think about the fact you are in their way at that moment! Perhaps holding them up from passing through a narrow double parked road. The fact that they can't get past because of the line of either stationary or moving vehicles to the side goes unnoticed!:rolleyes:

Simontm

Veteran
Seems to vary. I've heard of someone getting criticism from A&E for not wearing a helmet when he was being treated for an elbow injury but when I got offed last summer and ended up in A&E (nothing serious), neither paramedic nor anyone in A&E made any negative comments at all. Nor did the driver who collided with me or who I collided with (50/50).
When I ended up at Mary's in the Trauma unit last year, the senior registrar asked if I was wearing a helmet. When I said yes, he said good and pointed to the next cubicle where there was another patient in an induced coma, sayin:'He didn't"

Top Bottom