Approaching a roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
First of all I apologise for not having a copy of the Highway Code in the house.

There is a very busy small roundabout on one of the routes home from work. There are 3 exits and at the busy times of day when traffic is backed up to it from all 3 directions it can be normal that all 3 vehicles arriving at the roundabout do so at the same time.

I know that you give way to vehicles from your right but there is a vehicle on everybodys right :wacko:.

If all vehicles at the roundabout are wanting to turn across anothers path, who has right of way please?

I usually take the initiative as somebody has to, but I'm wondering what the proper course of action should be?

Cab

In which case, you've got the big fight scene at the end of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The correct strategy is to have removed the ammo from one guys gun the night before.

I think in this case it's whoever goes first. Proceed with caution and all that. Probably officially it should be whoever arrives at the roundabout first, but I've been in the same position where everyone arrives at once and everyone has right of way. Usually, everyone proceeds with caution and it gets sorted out by mutual unspoken agreement.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers, I shall proceed with caution. I'm assertive in my riding and will carry on taking the initiative.

bonj2

technically, if 4 vehicles approach a roundabout one from each exit at exactly the same time, and all slow down the same amount and all anticipate each other, and set off with the same acceleration, then they *should* all be able to go at the same time with no trouble, as they're all going the same way round it. However, this rarely happens.

Top Bottom