approching a horse from behind off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billflat12

Veteran
This is a know how question for all cyclists, As a cyclist and horse rider I am constantly angered by the increasing number of cyclists who think its best to quietly approach a horse from behind , usually at speed an brake suddenly to swerve round my once bomb proof horse, then speeding off again cursing my lack of control , is it lack of knowledge or respect ? surely its good for us all if we just learn to co-exist in safety on shared user routes, how many of us are confident about passing horses safely from behind ?

Noodley

me

Try riding a recumbent!

The problem is that horses are by nature "prey" and have a mindset that matches this.

A recumbent approaching a horse is low. sleek and predator like therefore seen as a threat.

However it is a two way thing . I know this and stop, pull over and warn the rider.

Last time a young lady told me not to be so F*ing stupid and did I think she was incapable, or her horse untrained?

30 seconds later when she tried to force the horse past and it panicked, I had to smile.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Riding along a lane one time, I came across a couple of people ahead with a horse, going the same way; I slowed down, called out to them and approached carefully. :unsure: I stopped to chat and the lady leading the horse told me that horses have very sensitive hearing and, while the horse could hear me, he/she couldn't see me, so was a bit unnerved/skittish. Once the horse had stopped and seen me, all was well. :thumbsup:

I was really surprised at the distance the horse had obviously heard me - at least 70-80 metres and I wasn't being that noisy ... :ohmy:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
When I started cycling again, I found myself regularly having to go past horses on Suffolk lanes.

At first, I just went past slowly and wide but after one horse reared, I was berated for not giving a warning. Ok - next horse encounter, I gave the bell a single ding. The horse reared and I was berated for making a noise.

After that, I resorted to just shouting "bike behind", getting some attention before slowly going past wide. However, this was not good enough for one rider whose horse panicked. I was shouted at that it was my fault for wearing a brightly coloured shirt.

To be fair, most horse riders are fine and an obviously jittery horse is worth being extra careful with but there are some right ****ers round here.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Say 'Hello' as you're nearing the horse. The rider will think you're talking to them, and will say Hello back. The horse will know that you're not a predator, and won't go off on one. Everyone's a winner :biggrin:

U

User6179

Seen a cyclist who just overtook me fly past a horse n rider and the horse went up on its back legs n nearly through the young female rider so am super carefull around horses now!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
More recently, while riding struggling up a steep hill on my recumbent, a horse and rider were walking down towards me. I have a couple of flags on a thin pole and was informed that they would probably make the horse very twitchy, as he/she would be unsure what they were.

Fortunately, at this point I could go no further up the 15% climb so, using this as a very good excuse to be nice and civil towards the horse and rider, I stopped fell off :ohmy: and waited till they had gone past and we were all happy. ^_^

albion

Guru
When I started cycling again, I found myself regularly having to go past horses on Suffolk lanes.
At first, I just went past slowly and wide but after one horse reared, I was berated for not giving a warning. Ok - next horse encounter, I gave the bell a single ding. The horse reared and I was berated for making a noise.
After that, I resorted to just shouting "bike behind", getting some attention before slowly going past wide. However, this was not good enough for one rider whose horse panicked. I was shouted at that it was my fault for wearing a brightly coloured shirt.
To be fair, most horse riders are fine and an obviously jittery horse is worth being extra careful with but there are some right ****ers round here.
Exactly. There seems no golden rule.

What strikes me though is that a jittery horse becomes a death risk on certain roads, especially for a new rider in the saddle.

albion

Guru
Seen a cyclist who just overtook me fly past a horse n rider and the horse went up on its back legs n nearly through the young female rider so am super carefull around horses now!

Often makes no difference.If they hear you(something) doing 5 mph 50 yards behind some get jittery,
The horse that time heard me 'reaching for the bell' which I never got to ring.
Am still left wondering what the reaction with that one would have been with a bell tinkle.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I ring the bell at a distance and call "good morning" (or afternoon) when closer, then pass on the other side of the road at a moderate speed.
Most horses are OK if they aren't startled, and they will hear the ring/call even if the rider doesn't (you can usually see them notice). If the horse is nervous, I expect the rider to warn me.

It can be that the problem is as much the rider as the horse, with the horse not panicking until the rider sees you even though it saw you earlier.

Top Bottom