approching a horse from behind off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
billflat12

billflat12

Veteran
rider awareness helps , but can depend on the day if something sudden or unexpected causes upset, otherwise mines fine , bloody nightmare if we see an umbrella or chickens appear though.

U

User6179

Often makes no difference.If they hear you(something) doing 5 mph 50 yards behind some get jittery,
The horse that time heard me 'reaching for the bell' which I never got to ring.
Am still left wondering what the reaction with that one would have been with a bell tinkle.

Think it makes a big difference, a bit like when your cycling along a back road into the wind then suddenly a car passes out of nowhere and startles you , if the horse hears you approaching its not going to be startled most of the time.

PK99

Legendary Member
I ride around Epsom and much of surrey, on and off road, so come across lots of horses.

My approach is to give a single "ting" on the bell while a long way back, to let horse and rider know i am there. Approach slowly from behind and speak wile some way back "G;morning rider, Is it ok to come through" that normally initiates a polite, relaxed conversation withe the rider, which seem to relax the horse.

U

User6179

I ride around Epsom and much of surrey, on and off road, so come across lots of horses.

My approach is to give a single "ting" on the bell while a long way back, to let horse and rider know i am there. Approach slowly from behind and speak wile some way back "G;morning rider, Is it ok to come through" that normally initiates a polite, relaxed conversation withe the rider, which seem to relax the horse.

You sound like some kind of horse whisperer!:smile:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
As long as you are not hooning past, you slowdown and pass courteously, speaking first to the rider as above, I would argue that if the horse then still rears, jumps or becomes uncontrollable the rider should not be taking such a dangerous animal onto the roads, primarily for the horse riders safety.

U

User6179

As long as you are not hooning past, you slowdown and pass courteously, speaking first to the rider as above, I would argue that if the horse then still rears, jumps or becomes uncontrollable the rider should not be taking such a dangerous animal onto the roads, primarily for the horse riders safety.

Just remember although I agree a little , Horses- 2000 years , bicycles- 150 years , motor vehicles -100 years:smile:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
This is a know how question for all cyclists, As a cyclist and horse rider I am constantly angered by the increasing number of cyclists who think its best to quietly approach a horse from behind , usually at speed an brake suddenly to swerve round my once bomb proof horse, then speeding off again cursing my lack of control , is it lack of knowledge or respect ? surely its good for us all if we just learn to co-exist in safety on shared user routes, how many of us are confident about passing horses safely from behind ?

Im confident in passing horses, however I feel your post is lacking, to achieve what you desire would it not be more effective providing advice or information on how you like to be passed on your horse rather than just complaining about things. How are things going to change without knowledge

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Just remember although I agree a little , Horses- 2000 years , bicycles- 150 years , motor vehicles -100 years:smile:
How long does a horse live?
So no horse was born before there were cars or bikes on the road.A lot of horses in the Surrey area are no more than spoilt children's toys,little more than an outsize domestic pet.

Peteaud

Veteran
My rear hub is so loud the mule has heard me hours before it ever sees me.

Failing that, i shout hello and bike behind, make the rider aware and have not had an issue.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A horse's natural instincts (ie "I'm prey: it's going to eat me") can be set off by the slightest thing - and it's often the least expected. As others have said, I always slow down, call out to the rider to ask if it's ok for me to pass by. If they say yes, then I go past slowly, talking to the horse (I much prefer animals to people :thumbsup:). If the rider isn't sure, then it's best to let them take the horse off into a field or down another road, or turn the horse to face the bike - a horse's "flight" instincts can be greatly increased if it thinks it's being "chased".

Alex H

Legendary Member
A horse's natural instincts (ie "I'm prey: it's going to eat me") can be set off by the slightest thing - and it's often the least expected.

So is that why people ride them on roads - the anticipation, the surprise and shock at what it does next?

Serious question - I really don't get it myself - aren't horses better ridden in 'real' country?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I live in a horsey area and haven't found a foolproof method yet of passing a horse from behind. What I have learned so far is:

Many horses don't seem to like orange hi-vis. This is a problem because I prefer orange as motorists seem to give me more room than when I'm wearing yellow - I think they assume I'm a postman.:laugh:

Horses really don't like the swish of bike tyres on a wet road.

They don't seem to be bothered by a bike bell, provided that it is rung at a distance.

Some riders seem to take great offence at the idea their horse might need a bit of care when passing.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
So is that why people ride them on roads - the anticipation, the surprise and shock at what it does next?

Serious question - I really don't get it myself - aren't horses better ridden in 'real' country?

I said "can be" not "are always".

I rode out on the roads as a child and most of the way through my teens and can only remember two instances when I didn't feel safe - once when my usually docile mare who was fine with RAF jets screaming overhead took fright when a donkey brayed a greeting as we passed its field :rolleyes:, and the other time was on a different horse when a car went past too fast and too close and scared the hell out of him - the one and only time I had to do the walk of shame.

Not sure what you mean by "real country". I grew up in rural Wales and now live in a more populated but still rural part of Somerset. :scratch:

OP
OP
billflat12

billflat12

Veteran
Im confident in passing horses, however I feel your post is lacking, to achieve what you desire would it not be more effective providing advice or information on how you like to be passed on your horse rather than just complaining about things. How are things going to change without knowledge
softly softly is best so treat all horses/riders as a hazard as you would an inexperienced child cyclist , good experiences for both horse & rider is important , anything unfamiliar like the sound of your bell if overused or close up is not good , horses trust us humans so a simple calm human voice settles them no end & alerts any rider of your presence .

Top Bottom