approching a horse from behind off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always pass very wide and slowly. Bloody nightmare some of they so I keep away, don't want any scratches or poo on the bike :tongue:

Thing is many folk dont know how to pass horses, on whatever transport they have.

BSRU

A Human Being
I see horses quite often on my commute as I pass two large stables.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbobnKaOQU

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My horses are bombproof but I appreciate a 'hello' from cyclists as they approach, especially from behind. I always call a hello to riders when on my bike and never ring my bell.

There is always the occasional grumpy rider who thinks that cycling is daft around horses but we all have to share the road. I got blamed for startling a pheasant the other day, which flew up under the horses face. I was well behind so pretty sure it wasn't me.

RedFeend

As long as you are not hooning past, you slowdown and pass courteously, speaking first to the rider as above, I would argue that if the horse then still rears, jumps or becomes uncontrollable the rider should not be taking such a dangerous animal onto the roads, primarily for the horse riders safety.
As a life long rider of horses and cycles (apart from a long absence due to injury..........not cause by either) I concur with this summing up.

Arch

Married to Night Train
So is that why people ride them on roads - the anticipation, the surprise and shock at what it does next?

Serious question - I really don't get it myself - aren't horses better ridden in 'real' country?

That's bit like saying cars are better on motorways. Maybe, but you usually have to use other roads to get to a motorway, and you often have to use a road to get to land you can ride a horse on. When I've hacked in the past, we had to use the road to get from the stables to the bridleway. Roads aren't all that much fun to ride on for any distance, and are hard on horses feet. Most road riders will be on their way somewhere nicer.

Like Jo, I tend to talk to the horse, especially when I'm on the trike. I usually say hello from behind, and then as I pass I say stuff like "Hello horse, don't worry, I'm a human, I know, I look a bit odd..." etc. Usually, that makes the rider smile as well as telling the horse I'm human.

RedFeend

So is that why people ride them on roads - the anticipation, the surprise and shock at what it does next?

Serious question - I really don't get it myself - aren't horses better ridden in 'real' country?
Because there are so few places where riders can get direct access to off road hacking. Where there are bridle paths you usually have to go on the road in order to get off it.
Trust me. It is nearly every horse riders dream NOT to have to ride on the road.

PS The few rude riders of both persuasions give the pleasant majority a bad name.

Sara_H

Guru
Like Jo, I tend to talk to the horse, especially when I'm on the trike. I usually say hello from behind, and then as I pass I say stuff like "Hello horse, don't worry, I'm a human, I know, I look a bit odd..." etc. Usually, that makes the rider smile as well as telling the horse I'm human.

Ha ha! Last time we passed horses my OH start rambling on "hello poppo, I'm a nice person, not a tiger blah blah blah....." I was a bit embarrassed, I prefer a more perfunctory "good morning, happy for me to pass?....."

PpPete

Legendary Member
My rear hub is so loud the mule has heard me hours before it ever sees me.
Failing that, i shout hello and bike behind, make the rider aware and have not had an issue.

Pretty much my approach too.
and no I don't ask if its OK to pass. I go to the right hand side of the road to pass (as in HC Rule 163) and only when I judge it's safe to do so.
Horse riders reactions are as unpredictable as that of their mounts, so i don't bother with any attempt at conversation beyond a call "bike behind".

boybiker

Guru
As long as you are not hooning past, you slowdown and pass courteously, speaking first to the rider as above, I would argue that if the horse then still rears, jumps or becomes uncontrollable the rider should not be taking such a dangerous animal onto the roads, primarily for the horse riders safety.

Basically this. I once went to pass two horse on my motorbike and the horse rider stuck her arm out to stop me. They didn't pull over to let me pass for a good 15 minutes, its that kind of attitude that rubs me up the wrong way. No one owns the road and I dont mind waiting a while but if the horse was that uncontrollable it shouldn't be on a public road!

Lee_M

Guru
if you have a horse on the road that is skittish you should surely be checking behind you and see a bike?

we dont go that fast

woohoo

Veteran
I always call out with a "Hello" or Passing on you right" before going past a horse. Invariably, it is the experienced riders (the older, more grizzled ones!) who reply with a thanks and everything is under control. The less experienced riders seem to have more problems than the horse with me calling out but at least they have been warned. In any event, I don't ever want to be on the wrong end of an argument with a horse that has been spooked.

OP
OP
billflat12

billflat12

Veteran
Thankfully my horse is fine an well mannered in heavy traffic, it,s while riding along local bridleways we encounter the complete surprise of a sudden cyclist , sadly these traffic free routes encourage reckless & unpredictable behavior for some horse riders & cyclists, due to recent uk cycling successes our local councils want to encourage cycling which is great , one busy local route does have a separate horse path to one side with cyclists and walkers on a harder smooth surface alongside, another neighboring council just wants to cut down trees and any vegetation then erect motorcycle barriers with a level rolled stone surface totally unsuitable for horses or cyclists, not quite the tranquilly it once was but then it,s called progress ? tarmac cyclists using the quiet country lanes are usually great though..

compo

Veteran
Like so many others on here I call out while still well behind the horse, generally "cyclist coming past" or similar. I have sometimes wondered if the sudden voice could spook a horse but decide that they are used to the human voice and it is better than a bike suddenly appearing without warning. One rider did tell me one day that the horse knew I was coming almost before I saw the horse, so acute is their hearing. To date I have never had a problem with horse riders on the road (or on their horses). Yet!

Alex H

Legendary Member
Not sure what you mean by "real country". I grew up in rural Wales and now live in a more populated but still rural part of Somerset. :scratch:

I meant somewhere where there is soil under the horse rather than tarmac :smile: but quite a few other posters have explained the reasons quite well - thanks all ^_^

Top Bottom