Appropriate Cycle Shoes for pedals in video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

As I bought this bike second hand, I don't know the kind of pedals that I have.

I would like to get proper cycle shoes to assist with longer rides.

What entry level cycle shoes would you recommend to go with these pedals?

Any advice appreciated.

At present, I am doing a couple of 25 mile cycles weekly in trainers, wearing builder shorts.

So think with more appropriate equipment, getting up to 50 miles in a day would be easier.

Thanks

View: https://youtu.be/drXYXf09u4U

If you want to go clipped in get some mtb shoes and spd cleats. When I last used mtb spds on a road bike I liked my Specialized BG MTB Sport shoes as they had a slightly stiffer sole than other mtb shoes and on first glance they appeared like road shoes 👍

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Cycling shoes have a reinforced sole which is stiffer and makes cycling more comfortable over longer distances.

You don't need them for that and I've cycled 70 miles in trainers on a couple of occasions, but I wouldn't do it now.

In terms of what shoe to get, the best advice I can give is to try some on at your local bike shop, if you are planning on using cleats to secure your feet to the pedals then you need two bolt type shoes compatible with Shimano SPD.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The pedals in the clip are Shimano double sided pedals. Spds on one side and flats on the other. Any mtb shoe will do. They have recessed clips and so they are easy to walk around in. Perfect for touring or commuting. Its the set up I use all the time.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to walk around too then the MTB shoes with recessed clips as Steve suggested are a good idea, Decathlon do some good budget ones.
Hope r you’re not showing too much crack with those builders shorts :ohmy:.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I am right in thinking that MTB shoes are a mountain bike shoe?

The bike I have is a road bike.

Would I be better off, getting road bike pedals and road bike shoes?

vickster

Legendary Member
I am right in thinking that MTB shoes are a mountain bike shoe?

The bike I have is a road bike.

Would I be better off, getting road bike pedals and road bike shoes?
Doesn’t matter, you can use any pedals or shoes on a roadbike (or any bike that can be ridden on the road)
You can’t walk (easily / far) in road shoes as the cleats are large and sit proud of the sole, nor can you use trainers on the pedals if you want to pop to the shops or pub.

Have you read the clipless faq thread in this part of the forum?

si_c

Guru
Doesn’t matter, you can use any pedals or shoes on a roadbike (or any bike that can be ridden on the road)
You can’t walk (easily / far) in road shoes as the cleats are large and sit proud of the sole, nor can you use trainers on the pedals if you want to pop to the shops or pub.

Very much this. MTB type pedals are much easier to live with day to day and a lot of people on this forum prefer them, myself included.

I have several road bikes all of which use MTB type pedals, once you are riding them nobody would notice anyway.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member

Thanks Vickster.

Yes I have.

It is a good article.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is there a particular MTB show that you recommend?

My budget is about £100.
Loads at that price point, just do some searching for ones that you like the look of. Make sure the cleat will be recessed.
You will possibly need to size up from your normal shoe size. Some shoes come up very narrow, others much wider. It’s quite hit and miss.

Buy from a supplier with free delivery and returns like Sigma sports
eg https://www.sigmasports.com/clothin...g Shoes&page=1&filters={}&sort=price_low_high

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Loads at that price point, just do some searching for ones that you like the look of. Make sure the cleat will be recessed.
You will possibly need to size up from your normal shoe size. Some shoes come up very narrow, others much wider. It’s quite hit and miss.

Buy from a supplier with free delivery and returns like Sigma sports
eg https://www.sigmasports.com/clothing/shoes#product_category_name[]=Clothing > Shoes > Mountain Biking Shoes&page=1&filters={}&sort=price_low_high

Thanks Vickster

Top Bottom