Approx. 10 mile commute. Road Bike vs E-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wayfarer

Wayfarer

I wouldnt bother with the e bike then.Im over 90kgs with a small hill at the begining in the morning and the end on the way home.I do approx 24miles each way.It was a slog at the start but it doesnt take long to get into it.Now I look forward to it.Id go for the road bike in your shoes
Haha, I see a few people who look forward to journeys they previously thought were a slog! ^_^
How do you find those hills in the winter?

OP
OP
Wayfarer

Wayfarer

I ended up going home via Cheetham hill. Just be aware that the driving standards are shall we say not the best? There are plenty of cycle and bus lanes through there, but generally that seems to be a parking space for cars!
I did a lot of cycling when I was younger, but when I started that commute, I had not ridden for about 15 years. You will soon find a speed that works for you, and the hills will become easier, meaning your speed and fitness will increase. I actually enjoyed the ride, and looked forward to cycling home every day.
Yeah, Cheetham Hill is crazy. I'm used to it from driving there and generally I end up cycling in the middle of the lane when I get to the area near the takeaways just so I'm not in the middle of a car parked with its hazards on and a car trying to nip past. I'm definitely on alert around there.

Can I ask if you stopped commuting there because of the journey or was it just due to a change in circumstances?

Heigue'r

Veteran
They are not exactly hills,a bit under 200ft in .7 of a mile,more like a bump I guess but you feel it at the end of 24miles when you are tired.On the flipside,it serves as a great warmup in the morning

Yeah, Cheetham Hill is crazy. I'm used to it from driving there and generally I end up cycling in the middle of the lane when I get to the area near the takeaways just so I'm not in the middle of a car parked with its hazards on and a car trying to nip past. I'm definitely on alert around there.

Can I ask if you stopped commuting there because of the journey or was it just due to a change in circumstances?

I had an accident cycling home from work four years ago. A woman pulled out in front of me and I went through the drivers window. I suffered a few broken bones in my back and neck, which have resulted in me not being able to do the job I was at that time. Ironically, it was on the most quiet part of the route (Between Denton and Bredbury)

I did not mind cycling through the city centre, even Cheetham hill. As you are always expecting the unexpected, nothing really comes as a surprise. I did that commute for 6 years. The only time I hated the journey was on the few times I drove to work!

I work in Belmont now. It is only 8 miles each way, but it has 1500ft of climbing in it, so it is a slightly different prospect. Good, in a different way. The views are certainly better!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I look at this a different way to everyone else. Because you will be getting your new bike on the cycle to work scheme, I am assuming you are getting it cheaper than you would normally pay. I am in Denmark and so do not really know how your scheme works.

But if you get the bike at a reduced rate I would get the electric bike.

You then have a choice whether you take the electric bike, MTB or even a cheap second hand roadbike.

I have a 40km commute every day and I ride it most days. But there are the odd occasion that I need a day off battling up hills. I used to have an electric bike and it was great for such occasions. There are going to be those days when you just cannot be bothered and electric bikes are great fun.

si_c

Guru
Another for the road bike here, my commute is 25miles round trip, with a similar amount of climbing, but I'm 38 and 92kg.

What's worth keeping in mind is that an ebike is limited to 15mph, so if you're going to go faster than that, then it's just a really heavy bike. Add to that the need to charge it up a couple of times a week (and then forgetting) and it's not worth it for someone your age imo.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Road bike if you want to get fitter. My commute's 12 miles each way with a bit more climbing.

I started out doing it 2-3 days a week and worked up to 5, which took a couple of months.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi from a fellow Manchester commuter cyclist :hello:

10 miles is a perfect commute in my opinion, just right for a decent workout but not so far that it takes up the rest of the day outside of work.
I started when I was in my late 30s and it took 6-12 months before I could comfortably do all 4 days on the trot without feeling really tired at the end (Continental 12hr shifts 4 on/4 off). I consider the cycle commute to be the best part of my working day and I get grumpy if I have to miss it for more than a few days. I commute from Ashton-under-Lyne to Hazel Grove via Denton and Bredbury so there are a few lumps along the way but nothing I consider to be a hill (The Pennines have been my playground since I was a kid).

At your age you should quickly get in to shape and doing the 5 day routine will become normal. Do you have to cycle everyday or is there an alternative for the days when time is short or something else disrupts the cycling? It is always handy to have a plan B, I usually end up driving when the kids activities get in the way or Mrs Skol gets back from work too late for me to cycle.

A more suitable bike will be a big help. The words 'old MTB' covers a multitude of sins and doing a daily 2 x 10 mile commute on some of the contraptions that phrase brings to mind really doesn't bear thinking about! Don't think this means getting a drop bar road bike is the only option. I started out using a hardtail MTB with slicks for 6 months then bought a rigid hybrid at the end of 2010 and still use this for the majority of my riding despite having the MTB and a really good carbon dropbar bike at my disposal. The Hybrid has mudguards and a pannier rack so is just perfect for me for my commute. I would definitely suggest you ditch the 'Old MTB' but consider a rigid hybrid, flatbar road bike or dropbar road bike as an alternative. I would steer clear of e-bikes in your position. You will get a much better bike for your money and avoid some of the tech issues if you stay self-propelled.

Avoid anything with suspension but consider tyres of 28-35mm diameter for the best all-round usability.

Last edited:

nickr

Über Member
Do you use the lowest gear on your mountain bike? The lowest gear on a road bike is likely to be much higher. I would have a test ride before buying. That said, I've gradually worked my way from a mountain bike to a CX bike for my commute, and would not swap it for an electric bike or another mountain bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you use the lowest gear on your mountain bike? The lowest gear on a road bike is likely to be much higher. I would have a test ride before buying. That said, I've gradually worked my way from a mountain bike to a CX bike for my commute, and would not swap it for an electric bike or another mountain bike.
It is however flat pretty much 10 miles from Kingston in every direction apart from a couple of inclines in Richmond Park :smile:

That said, I couldn’t imagine having a budget electric bike if a fit 29 year old lightweight like the OP

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Road bike, every time.

My commute is about 21km each way (13.2 miles), and in the middle I go up the hill to Crystal Palace (oh, and Denmark Hill, but tis but a pimple).

A young chap in such fine fettle as yourself will soon be chasing ebikes up the hills as a matter of honour. :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another one here who would suggest someone in your position should avoid e bikes. My commute is 17 miles each way from the flat lands west of Manchester, but I am fairly familiar with some of the the roads you will be using.

Cheetham Hill Road isn't bad as a climbing experience. IMHO steep enough to give you a welcome lift on the descent, but not so steep as to make a climb unpleasant. IIRC there are a couple of junctions where the cycle lane takes you around traffic lights, which is good. (Although that may be a false memory as it was after midnight the last couple of times I was riding up the road :whistle:) Although slightly longer, you could always try Bury New Road as an alternative and cut across at Higher Broughton and travel up Leicester Road, to see how you found the climb/traffic.

As suggested up thread, on the slopes just sit back, relax and spin your way up.

One area I would definitely check out, would be where you approach and cross the M60. If you are coming down Heywood Old Road to get onto Middleton Road and then past Heaton Park you will need to cross the motorway at junction 19. I thought the junction was priority from the right, i.e. free for all. So I would be looking to see what the traffic is like at the times you intend to travel and how you get across the junction. According to Google maps, there seems to be a footbridge, but I don't know if that has restricted access for bikes and how easy it is for a bike to get on/off it. (Assuming bikes are allowed).

As @I like Skol says, its handy to have a plan B. If only until your legs get used to the commute.

rivers

How far can I go?
My commute is 16 miles each way, with just slightly more climbing, approximately 600 feet each direction. I do it on a road bike, without issue. And I've just added panniers to one of my bikes. Still a fairly easy ride.

Siclo

Veteran
Although slightly longer, you could always try Bury New Road as an alternative and cut across at Higher Broughton and travel up Leicester Road, to see how you found the climb/traffic.

That'd be how I'd do it, it's much more flowing especially on the descent in.

One area I would definitely check out, would be where you approach and cross the M60. If you are coming down Heywood Old Road to get onto Middleton Road and then past Heaton Park you will need to cross the motorway at junction 19. I thought the junction was priority from the right, i.e. free for all. So I would be looking to see what the traffic is like at the times you intend to travel and how you get across the junction. According to Google maps, there seems to be a footbridge, but I don't know if that has restricted access for bikes and how easy it is for a bike to get on/off it. (Assuming bikes are allowed).

There's an underpass on J19 BUT it's block paved and very slippy, coming south it's very difficult to get back on the road at the best of times.

Footbridges:

To the west, Old Hall Lane off Simister - Steps, muddy un-surfaced access
Under pass to the east of J19 - Un-surfaced, muddy
To the east at Boothroyden Road is totally accessible and well surfaced, this is the one to go for
Anything further east is unsurfaced and muddy but the one off the A664 that runs into Charmwood Rd is excellent fun on a crosser or MTB.

The hill will get easier, it's not that bad, also remember that prevailing wind is south westerly so you generally get a decent shove up it.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I'm glad you think it's a good commute distance. I am keen on the fitness aspect too, as I'm basically sedentary otherwise and I have my first kid coming along soon so this bike might be one of my few ways to get out and be fit.

What you said about the extra complexity of an e-bike too - I was considering that. I see batteries and other parts needing to be replaced and people asking how they can fix or whether they should just sell (over on Pedelecs) and I was thinking of course a road bike will take regular maintenance but hopefully it will rarely require as much work as the e-bike... (hopefully...)
Congratulations on your imminent bundle of joy!!! You are right in that you will never have time to yourself again, haha! I cycle to work 6 miles each way and days I don't get to (if I am sick or if there is a lot of snow, or last week we had massive flooding!) I miss the quiet time. I also like to ride around my neighborhood at night after my little one is in bed (her papa is still home so I am not leaving her on her own). It is my only quiet time to myself other than my shower and my lunch break at work.

I wanted to get fitter again and do my part for the environment so I decided to get back into biking after about 9 years off the bike. I got a hybrid (secondhand but new Trek) and it is a good commuter. It is versatile, I added fenders (because I ride along a muddy trail for part of it and ride in rain) and a rack (I change at work into my professional gear, I also stop at the grocery store often on the way home) and it has been a very comfortable and reliable machine. If you are thinking of adding those things, make sure the bike you like will have braze-ons (the holes where they can attach). Some road bikes don't.

From someone who is still kind of a beginner commuter, it gets easier amd you enjoy it. Don't feel like you have to go 18mph on your way to work, and don't feel like you have to do it every day if you are not up to it, especially in the beginning. Take it slow and you will get stronger and more comfortable. Although in my opinion you do not really need an e-bike, I think your confidence will build on any bike once you just get out and ride!

Top Bottom