Approx. 10 mile commute. Road Bike vs E-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wayfarer

Hey everyone

About me, because I know this very much depends on the person: male, 72 kgs, 5'11, not unfit.

I'm using my work's cycle to work scheme to get a new bike for my cycle commute. I live in Heywood (North of Manchester) and cycle into Manchester centre every day. As in the title, it's a 10 mile commute each way and on the way back it's quite hilly. I've been using an old MTB for the past week and even though it's certainly doable I really slow to an absolute crawl on some of the hills on the way back (I never get to the point where I stop/dismount though).

I've not used a road bike before and I'm keen on ordering a Cannondale Touring 1 (though not from Evans) and my expectations are that it would make my commute somewhat easier.

Now to the point - I initially went off the idea of getting a Woosh Krieger e-bike as I'd be getting far less 'bike' for my money (though I understand many e-bike commuters are after the commute, not the bike) but I saw someone on an e-bike today on the way home and she was having such an easy time of it! I'm torn between the road bike and the e-bike but only because of the hills on the way home. Please give me your opinion. FYI it's 453 ft up and 187 ft down according to google.

I want to cycle, I also want to commute the whole year round for better and worse (as my bus commutes can take up to 2 hours door-to-door in the winter), so I'm wondering which bike is for me. Now, I know you can't tell me which one is for me but I would really, really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I hope im capable of the same at 72.Is there any chance of getting hold of a demo road bike for a day or two?and the same with the e bike?..I was in giant London at the weekend and was surprised to learn that I could demo a bike for 2 days for 25 pounds.Might be worth seeing if you can find similar

I used to commute from Bolton to Bredbury. I started off struggling up Bury new road on the way home on a hybrid. After a few weeks it got a lot easier, and after a few months I did not know what the problem was! I did get a drop bar bike eventually and I was certainly faster on it.
I guess you will go through Blackley? The hills out of Heywood can be a little steep on the way out, but just spin the gears and they are not too bad. The drag out of Manchester is not that steep, and just a long drag, and I think you will soon get used to it.
I have seen people on e bikes going up the hills, and they certainly open up cycling to a lot of people that would probably not consider a commute on a bike because of their relative lack of fitness. Only you can decide if that is the right option for you.
I know a lot of people that are not particularly strong cyclists that commute on all sorts of different bikes into Manchester, day in, day out. They may not be the fastest, but speed will come eventually. After a while I averaged 17-18mph most days on that commute.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Road bike, you will get fitter and faster on those hills. It is on the way home, after a while you will go looking for bonus hills to go up. It is also a short commute, and you have the summer ahead of you to get fit before the winter.

boydj

Legendary Member
I think a 10 mile commute is a good commute distance, ideal for a road bike such as the Cannondale you mentioned. You'll soon build up a good level of fitness. You have the benefit of an easy ride in when you might not be at your best in the morning, but you will arrive wide awake and ready for work.

On the question of an e-bike, you have to ask yourself whether you want the fitness benefit of cycling, along with the benefits of a reliable, cheap journey, or you just want a simple solution to an awkward commute. The extra complexity of an e-bike may not be ideal for a commute.

Personally, I enjoyed my cycle commute so much that I joined a locaL club and have long since succumbed to the 'n+1' syndrome (several times).

Heigue'r

Veteran
@Heigue'r the op says 72kg not years of age :laugh:
Oooppss...:shy::laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
Wayfarer

Wayfarer

I used to commute from Bolton to Bredbury. I started off struggling up Bury new road on the way home on a hybrid. After a few weeks it got a lot easier, and after a few months I did not know what the problem was! I did get a drop bar bike eventually and I was certainly faster on it.
I guess you will go through Blackley? The hills out of Heywood can be a little steep on the way out, but just spin the gears and they are not too bad. The drag out of Manchester is not that steep, and just a long drag, and I think you will soon get used to it.
I have seen people on e bikes going up the hills, and they certainly open up cycling to a lot of people that would probably not consider a commute on a bike because of their relative lack of fitness. Only you can decide if that is the right option for you.
I know a lot of people that are not particularly strong cyclists that commute on all sorts of different bikes into Manchester, day in, day out. They may not be the fastest, but speed will come eventually. After a while I averaged 17-18mph most days on that commute.

I ride down Heywood Old Road, past Heaton Park, and through Cheetham Hill. It's not so bad out of Heywood, it's the ride home which is a bit worse (particularly some parts of Heywood Old Road).

Thanks for sharing your own experience, it does motivate me. I'm not shy of getting bikefit, I just wanted to see if any replies were along the lines of "yeah, by the sounds of your journey you will probably get burnt out..." etc. That might sound dumb for me to think like that but I'm not in the cycling scene at all - I don't know anybody else who cycles. It's not so much the speed of the journey which I'm keen on improving as I'm already quicker than my bus, but I want this to be something I can continue!

OP
OP
Wayfarer

Wayfarer

I think a 10 mile commute is a good commute distance, ideal for a road bike such as the Cannondale you mentioned. You'll soon build up a good level of fitness. You have the benefit of an easy ride in when you might not be at your best in the morning, but you will arrive wide awake and ready for work.

Thanks boydj

On the question of an e-bike, you have to ask yourself whether you want the fitness benefit of cycling, along with the benefits of a reliable, cheap journey, or you just want a simple solution to an awkward commute. The extra complexity of an e-bike may not be ideal for a commute.

Personally, I enjoyed my cycle commute so much that I joined a locaL club and have long since succumbed to the 'n+1' syndrome (several times).
I'm glad you think it's a good commute distance. I am keen on the fitness aspect too, as I'm basically sedentary otherwise and I have my first kid coming along soon so this bike might be one of my few ways to get out and be fit.

What you said about the extra complexity of an e-bike too - I was considering that. I see batteries and other parts needing to be replaced and people asking how they can fix or whether they should just sell (over on Pedelecs) and I was thinking of course a road bike will take regular maintenance but hopefully it will rarely require as much work as the e-bike... (hopefully...)

Heigue'r

Veteran
Haha, thanks for the advice Heigue'r, I'm 29 ^_^ I've had a Google for bike renting in Manchester but nothing has really come up? Maybe my keywords are off?

I've tried at Evans but that was only 10 minutes.

I wouldnt bother with the e bike then.Im over 90kgs with a small hill at the begining in the morning and the end on the way home.I do approx 24miles each way.It was a slog at the start but it doesnt take long to get into it.Now I look forward to it.Id go for the road bike in your shoes

I ride down Heywood Old Road, past Heaton Park, and through Cheetham Hill. It's not so bad out of Heywood, it's the ride home which is a bit worse (particularly some parts of Heywood Old Road).

Thanks for sharing your own experience, it does motivate me. I'm not shy of getting bikefit, I just wanted to see if any replies were along the lines of "yeah, by the sounds of your journey you will probably get burnt out..." etc. That might sound dumb for me to think like that but I'm not in the cycling scene at all - I don't know anybody else who cycles. It's not so much the speed of the journey which I'm keen on improving as I'm already quicker than my bus, but I want this to be something I can continue!

I ended up going home via Cheetham hill. Just be aware that the driving standards are shall we say not the best? There are plenty of cycle and bus lanes through there, but generally that seems to be a parking space for cars!
I did a lot of cycling when I was younger, but when I started that commute, I had not ridden for about 15 years. You will soon find a speed that works for you, and the hills will become easier, meaning your speed and fitness will increase. I actually enjoyed the ride, and looked forward to cycling home every day.

Top Bottom