Apps: What's hot and what's not???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I use the iMapMyRide app in conjunction with my £15 halfords special computer to track my rides (recommended by a friend). They seemed to be matching one another fairly accurately- until recently........

The damn app seems to have developed a habit of "losing GPS signal" and crashing even on routes I have logged previously, and its becoming a pain to have to keep mapping my own routes manually, especially when the app is supposed to do it for you! I've made sure nothing else is running in the background and even deleted and reinstalled it but it still does it! :banghead:

I know there are a load of other apps available but it would be interesting to get others experiences on them and which are worth a go/ which to avoid etc?

I use Strava, iMap, Endomondo, Cyclemeter, and TBH I like them all. I tend to use Cyclemeter and Strava more these days, but I have also invested in a Garmin Edge, so the apps are only for back up these days.

Fortunately I've not become addicted to Strava, and in case you wonder what I mean see HERE :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Noodle Legs

Noodle Legs

Winging it
I use Strava, iMap, Endomondo, Cyclemeter, and TBH I like them all. I tend to use Cyclemeter and Strava more these days, but I have also invested in a Garmin Edge, so the apps are only for back up these days.

Fortunately I've not become addicted to Strava, and in case you wonder what I mean see HERE :thumbsup:
Thanks, will look into these (except iMap) as I'm close to putting a hammer through my phone!:ninja: I'd heard of strava before but didn't have any in depth knowledge of it.

Mapster5

You've probably done this already but have you turned your wifi off when using I mapmyride?

yello

I'll have a go with one of the apps at some point, just to form my own ideas, but at this stage I can't say I'd see them as a replacement for my Edge.... but I have to admit that I am a grumpy old luddite at the best of times! I do look at a lot of apps and think 'yes, very nice but why?' :laugh: (And, yes, 'because you can' is a perfectly acceptable answer) Saw one yesterday that allowed you to pay your taxes from your smartphone! Hey, if it makes people pay 'em then all well and good I guess!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'll have a go with one of the apps at some point, just to form my own ideas, but at this stage I can't say I'd see them as a replacement for my Edge.... but I have to admit that I am a grumpy old luddite at the best of times! I do look at a lot of apps and think 'yes, very nice but why?' :laugh: (And, yes, 'because you can' is a perfectly acceptable answer) Saw one yesterday that allowed you to pay your taxes from your smartphone! Hey, if it makes people pay 'em then all well and good I guess!

I agree and IMO none of the apps even come close to replacing my Edge 500.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Even my very cheap Holux GPS is needle sharp compared to the far more valuable smart phone!

OP
OP
Noodle Legs

Noodle Legs

Winging it
You've probably done this already but have you turned your wifi off when using I mapmyride?
yeah........though there is conflicting advice about the accuracy when it's switched on or off.......the app says its more accurate when wifi connected other reviews say otherwise. Confused!.com:wacko:

When finances permit (ie. when i get back from vegas next month!) I may invest in a garmin but the app route is a stop gap in the interim.

Mapster5

yeah........though there is conflicting advice about the accuracy when it's switched on or off.......the app says its more accurate when wifi connected other reviews say otherwise. Confused!.com:wacko:

When finances permit (ie. when i get back from vegas next month!) I may invest in a garmin but the app route is a stop gap in the interim.

I'm sure it says on I tunes it works better
With wifi off I sometimes forget and get some strange readings like my average is more than my top speed and stuff but generally it's always been ok for me. Having said that I'm doing a 78 miler Sunday in Yorkshire and don't know the area so it'll go wrong then!

OP
OP
Noodle Legs

Noodle Legs

Winging it
Apps are fine if your phone has reasonably accurate GPS, my Samsung Galaxy S is so inaccurate that it rarely even registers the fact I've even been on a Strava segment!
mines an iphone 4s which is allegedly very good gps wise.........I think its some sort of software glitch personally, i have a tomtom app and that never lets me down!
I'm sure it says on I tunes it works better
With wifi off I sometimes forget and get some strange readings like my average is more than my top speed and stuff but generally it's always been ok for me. Having said that I'm doing a 78 miler Sunday in Yorkshire and don't know the area so it'll go wrong then!
ohhh i'd put money on that!:banghead: I read reviews on the strava app on app store and it wasnt convincing me.......might try cyclemeter until such time as i can afford a garmin.

yello

I did a test of both the mapmyride and strava apps on Sunday. I liked the mapmyride voice updates thing, very neat.... but it crashed and I lost the ride entirely. The strava app seemed to work okay but crashed also, though - and this is odd - it was the swype app that crashed taking stava with it????

BUT neither app seemed to allow me to save the ride locally and upload later. That'd be no use to me if it's the case. So I can't comment on the accuracy of either because I was unable to upload any data!

OP
OP
Noodle Legs

Noodle Legs

Winging it
I did a test of both the mapmyride and strava apps on Sunday. I liked the mapmyride voice updates thing, very neat.... but it crashed and I lost the ride entirely. The strava app seemed to work okay but crashed also, though - and this is odd - it was the swype app that crashed taking stava with it????

BUT neither app seemed to allow me to save the ride locally and upload later. That'd be no use to me if it's the case. So I can't comment on the accuracy of either because I was unable to upload any data!

That's exactly what was happening to me, but I was unsure whether it was my phone or the apps, you would think 2 apps crashing would point to the phone itself but I have the tomtom app and that has never let me down! I've been using Cyclemeter for the last couple of days and so far so good! :smile:

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I'd recommend cyclemeter it's well worth the money, has never crashed, never lost my data and has always been reliable, even when out of network signal range. I use it to log the ride, it also shows you how you're doing compared to your previous rides of the same routes, gives you voice updated every so often(1km on my setup), and automatically updates email, and dailymile, and I can feed the route to strava also, which I just started using today and am going to get v. Hooked on! From the email update from cyclemeter you can analyse youre route in google maps, or use something like strava to give you more if you don't want to view on the iPhone itself. Also hooks up to ant+ devices if you buy a dongle thingie. Been using cyclemeter for nearly a year.

Top Bottom