April Fools "Sig Nature" Ride 5th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sig SilverPrinter

User1314 said:
I'll be there as well. How can I not be, with the people going.

Got a pass.

Be fashionably late as always, and will probably arrive about 10 at London Bridge. :smile:

Make sure you get the right bridge User;):smile:

Tynan

Veteran
In a blatant attempt at redemption I've changed the tyres, replaced the brake blocks, mickled the chain, replaced the piece of wire/ziptie that's secured the back mudguard for over a year with an actual bolt, moved the seat forward a bit and cleaned even the cassette and rear mech which must have had a pound of gunk in

and wiped the entire frame with baby wipes until it gleamed beautifully in the afternoon sunshine, dabbed some oil on the odd scratch

cleaned up everything and as a final act spotted the pump and put it back on the bike where it looked utterly filthy on the gleaming bike

oh well sorry about the wind but no rain by the looks of things

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I've just got back and am looking forward to a shower.

Steve had some weird ulterior motive enticing us on this ride. The link he gave us was 41 miles with 2000 feet of climbing overall - that was fine.

Somehow this translated to, on the ground, several random diversions, a total distance for me of 51.46 miles (about 1 mile is getting from my parking spot to the start) and 3,009 feet of climb. That's a lot of ups and downs!

Overall it was a great day though. No rain, mostly dry roads (although my decision to go mudguard-free wasn't the best after one muddy patch), lots of horses, lots of cyclists, lots of cake...

My disappointment when the chap in the polka dot jersey left early with his chum was significant - I had lauded his fine thighs and backside to Sig who hadn't had a chance to study them properly, having not cycled that close to him. He'd escaped before she got to have a proper look. Shame.

The cake stop was at an aerodrome (and kept being further away than Steve promised!) and they were a bit slow at service - especially when Ian and I had got in the queue quickly and ordered our food - they told us they'd come outside to take our order and proceeded to be snail-like about it. It was also surprisingly pricey. Oh well, it was welcome fuel after 26 miles.

We continued on, waving hello to Redflightuk's horse, eventually ending up at a nice pub where we had food (and Redjedi had to wait for his chips!). Steve's wife and son appeared with the rather wonderful Birthday Cake for Sig (although it was Cayopro's birthday yesterday so he deserves a mention too).

After we had eaten I found myself leading the way back to Hertford East station (well, to my car) and trusting to my Garmin with its OpenSource maps. Which were overall very good, but it did lead us through a park at one point and over a footbridge which had steps up to it (thanks Ian for helping lift the trike). My car was located and I whizzed home.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hmmmmm cake

de18ww.jpg

21e6u5c.jpg

nom nom nom

pics 2morrow

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
aaaahhhh.. what a very nice ride.. A very fine leg work out thanks to the hills (cheers Steve :laugh:). I was going to cycle all the way home again but time conspired against us, I had to get back to the little one to put him to bed.. it was still a 107 mile ride for the day :angry:. Great ride, great company & great cake. Cheers all.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well, resurfaced having got home at 7pm, nice hot bath, some food and then some moochy family time. Another good day but very tiring:-

Alarm went off at 0330 this morning and I finally got on the road at about 0425. Made very good time and turned up at the first meet point, 28ish miles, bang on 0630, Mick was ready and waiting. Sleepy, or dopey, head Luke took a little longer but we got going. I had to stop at a garage to get some fuel, having not eaten yet. Then Luke needed a McDonalds toilet break, but we made pretty good time. Sadly we went passed London Bridge and on to Tower Bridge. Mick and I were to blame for this as we allowed the half asleep Luke to lead, we got what we deserved, me in particular as I'm hopeless in London. Still not too much harm done and we were soon greeting the others at the correct bridge, 40ish miles in for me now.

Had a great, very flat and, what wind there was helping, run up to Hertford. Ian leading the way then there was me, Dave, Luke, Mick, Alinae, Sig and User, all taking turns drafting him:biggrin:. We made decent time, in good company, and arrived not 'too' late at the meeting cafe in Hertford, 64 miles in for me now. But we were hungry so the off had to be delayed until food was consumed. Good job to, as Steve had obviously decided up and down was the order of the day:evil:. Nice to see everyone and the ride was good, but cold, actually the day seemed to get colder as it went on.

We stopped for a break, 26ish miles in, I'm now at 89 miles for the day, and 'eventually' had some passable repast. Apparently the delays were due to having to write things down rather than keying it all on the computerised till, obviously writing is a dying art. During the break Mick decided he'd need to head straight home and so did User. After a short deliberation I thought it would work best for me as well. Plan was for 25 miles back to London then cycle home thus ensuring daylight for the rest of my ride. Having made our goodbyes, got some cake from Sig:biggrin: we headed off.

Ride home my a*se, the 24 miles were straight into the wind and just downright hard. It only took about 5 miles for me to decide my goal was now Waterloo and a train home, no way would I have another 40 miles in my legs after that. After another 6 miles that choice was echoed by the other two, so we all aimed for Waterloo. In true mouseketeer style this was route 1 down the nearest busy main road. Actually wasn't too bad but the closer you get to London the more ludicrous the potholes seem to become. Eventually got to Waterloo, now 113 miles on the clock for me, and said my goodbyes. Of course trains to Farnborough aren't happening, engineering works, and I can't get the replacement bus service. So I had to get a train to Ash Vale which meant another 6 miles to home at the other end. Predictably those 6 miles were in to the wind as well, god they seemed to take forever.

All in most enjoyable, if tough at times, though my intent to cycle back to fitness is going to cause pain any way I cut it. Finished with 119.21 miles and a rolling average of 13mph, it's coming, slowly.

iLB

Hello there
well done macb, sounds like you had a lot better time than when we had to leave you somewhere half way up a hill in sussex, it's good to see you are regaining fitness- at the end of the day it's still a ton on the clock earlier than you managed last year, ultimately this shows alot of progress...

now if you would just see sense and get some 23mm tyres and lose the tank, sorry 'bicycle', you would be positively flying- and might even get to push someone else up the beacon :becool: :biggrin:

sounds like a good ride though, i on the other hand overslept and failed to make it to my intended ride today, instead i ate some more easter chocolate and went to the pub with a friend- perhaps i should watch out for mac catching me up next time...

Thanks everybody for a great ride. First group ride on the Trice and hope to do some more. Great route some of it i know well but the first loop upto the airfield i hadn't ridden before. Nice pub at the end and the cake was very nice. Hope to see you all soon on another great ride.

redjedi

Über Member
Another successful CC ride under the belt.

Horrible start to a bank holiday Monday meant I was unusually late :biggrin:. Not having any internet connection the night before or in the morning meant I couldn't check all the meeting details so got my bridges mixed up :blush:

The ride up to Hertford was very nice at that time of the morning, and we made up for my time wasting.

Excellent ride although the halfway stop could do with some improvements. I forget how long we had to wait for even a basic order of tea and cake but it was well over half an hour :blush:

Steve demonstrated his domestic side by producing Sigs be-lated birthday cake, and very nice it was to.

I think Helen forgot to put her Garmin on cyclists mode and left it on the rambler setting as we made our way back to the station :becool:

Got home with 99.1 miles on the clock, so promptly turned around rode half a mile up the road and back again giving me a nice round 100 miles for the day :blush:

My heart said get back on the bike this morning, my legs said "your having a laugh" so bus for me today.

Already looking forward to the next one.

clivedb

Guru
Thanks to Steve for organising a very enjoyable ride yesterday - and for the great cake, as photographed by Topcat1 - and not forgetting Sig's! The weather left something to be desired, but the company more than made up for that. And I salute those who cycled up from London and back again - impressive stuff!

Cayopro

I have to echo the words of most who completed the ride......... great ride, great route and great company, nice to meet you all, at last. Im sure I will be out on plenty more, glad you all got back safe "n" sound.......................... Until next time

Steve cake was great, my daughter LOVED it !!!!

Top Job !!

redjedi

Über Member
Nice pics TC but we're going to have to stop you riding at the back, far too many bum pics in there, you're not getting my good side at all :biggrin:

And apparently I'm a wanted man

1zqt1xx.jpg

Top Bottom