Arch! Making stuff.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Fantastic vid NT - thanks for sharing - shows how much we waste resources.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I love that vid, so impressed with the methods of working.

It reminds me why I am going to cut all the steel panels out of the car I am going to scrap and why I have kept the sides off an old tumble dryer.:smile:

Not that I am planning on making pans though. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Brilliant! Such a neat job too, obviously the result of long experience and an eye for detail. Thank you for posting it!

I might file that one away for the St Nicks blog when it gets going.

It's one of those anomalies that while so much of the world wants to become like us, we need to learn from them about using our resources wisely.

I was walking the bike home today (flat rear tyre), and passed a disused garage forecourt, and there were two bike tyres and one inner tube just lying on the ground. So I picked them up. That's two more belts, and a lot of rubber bands! (In fact I think one of the tyres is fine, the other looks like the bead might be a bit deformed).

I'm not that impressed ..... because in Solihul they have been making new Landrovers out of old saucepans for years.:whistle:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm not that impressed ..... because in Solihul they have been making new Landrovers out of old saucepans for years.:whistle:

Dammit, I was just going to say that in the next village there's probably a guy mending Landrovers with old saucepans....

(I bet there is!)

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
The Land Rover forum, where I found this, is a bit concerned that they panels being used are in better condition then the ones on their vehicles!
They have been suggesting that they could sell the panels back to the UK and then buy proper saucepans.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
The other thing is that you could probably sell those saucepans to some very trendy Londonites, to boast about at dinner parties...

"oh, darhling, you should see my new pans! They're made by this charming little chap in Zambia, all done by hand, you know, from old cars, how quaint! What's that? Non-stick? Oh no dahling, I don't cook with them, I kep them on a set of corner shelves in the kitchen. Ilona does all the cooking in a set from John Lewis...."

fenfirsttimer

Fascinating - thanks for sharing but I agree with Rich P the background 'music' was a bit much.

My first thought was - is the door panel metal safe to cook with....???? Not knowing anything about metals used in car construction I just imagined something nasty that could give you metal poisoning.
Second thought - stock control not too good - supply seems to be higher than demand.

Did I miss him fixing the bottom of the saucepan in? That's the bit I really wanted to see and they didn't show it.....

Arch - I loved the comment about the Londonites - I can so see that happening

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
The panels being used are aluminum so I guess no more bad then other aluminum pans.

The bottom of the pan is joined with a folded flange. The pan side has a flange bent outwards. The base has a flange that overlaps it and then the whole flange is bent upwards. It is a traditional tinsmiths method of working and something a tinker of the past would recognise.

My thought about the stock(pot) pile was that maybe he was making them to take to market.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's a nice reversal of the wartime thing where they took pans and railings to build Spitfires. (Not that they made many Spitfires from wrought iron. I gather that the railings mostly ended up just stockpiled or scrapped, but it was good for morale for people to think they'd contributed.).

Even better if he made saucepans out of tanks or something. Real 'swords into ploughshares' stuff.

Top Bottom