Arch's bike spotted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Not to mention the old Steel vs Bamboo needle debate... (for me, steel).

4ply vs DK? Acrylic vs Cashmere? Garter Stitch vs Stocking Stitch?

Yes, but which steel alloy? 501, 531, one of the more recent ones? Mass produced or hand built?

Could you save weight by crocheting instead of knitting?

How about going over to organically reared sheep or other wooly things?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Could you knit a carbon fibre bike ?

Hmm. Not sure. How flexible is the fibre? If flexible enough, you could perhaps knit tubes and then impregnate them with the resin...

David, crocheting would be lighter as you only need one needle, but the drawback for me would be that I can't really do crochet.... (I know the principle, and I've done the odd little test peice, but never got into it in the same way as knitting).

Arch

Married to Night Train
Could you knit a carbon fibre bike ?

Hmm. Not sure. How flexible is the fibre? If flexible enough, you could perhaps knit tubes and then impregnate them with the resin...

David, crocheting would be lighter as you only need one needle, but the drawback for me would be that I can't really do crochet.... (I know the principle, and I've done the odd little test peice, but never got into it in the same way as knitting).

taxing

Crocheting takes up more wool to produce something than knitting it would, so perhaps knitting would be used for light road bikes and crocheting for nice comfy heavy bikes.

(Arch, are you on Ravelry? There's a Casual Cyclists group.)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think I signed up, but found there was only room in my life for one forum (I've only just extended my tentacles to YACF as well...)

Are you a knitter too then? I've been a bit lazy recently, but I have a commission to fulfill, and an idea for nephew Max's birthday.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Knitting does require more flexibility than weaving* - I'd be interested to know if it's possible...

*depending on the nature of the weave - it all hinges on whether the fibre has to fold back on itself at each selvedge. As I've never handled a sheet of carbon 'cloth', I don't know if it has selvedges.

taxing

I think I signed up, but found there was only room in my life for one forum (I've only just extended my tentacles to YACF as well...)

Are you a knitter too then? I've been a bit lazy recently, but I have a commission to fulfill, and an idea for nephew Max's birthday.

I crochet, though I've been slacking off recently. And I was never great anyway, though I can manage little toys and hats. I'm going to try to get into it again for the winter, I'm always more tempted by my wool stash when it's cold. Ravelry has some decent free patterns, look at these bike mittens! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ragbrai-mittens Makes me wish I could knit.

Top Bottom