Are Aldi Clothes Any Good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
yes, it's pretty good stuff for the money. i'd particularly recommend the long sleeve tops they did last year, and also the winter gloves. the padded cycling longs were so cosy that i've only worn them a few times, it's not been cold enough!

if you cycle commute and you need a few different pairs of shorts, you could do worse than stock up when aldi have cycling stuff in next which, so my sources tell me, is towards the end of next month.

you can always tell when aldi has cycling gear in, because you go on the club's saturday run and they're all wearing it!

Mr Phoebus

I've bought two pairs of the bib-longs from there.
IIRC they were £5.99, they are the Roubaix winter longs.
They're much better than a pair of 'quality' made one's that I paid £45 for.
A lot of people I ride with in the group wear Aldi's Crane clothing, and they're all happy with it.

They should be having the winter clothing in in the not too distant future.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive had a Crane cycling jacket with removable arms...brilliant, except for the god awful colour :blush: The ebay picture did it too much justice :ohmy:

Also got a Crane gilet....perfect bit of kit for what it cost.

Got some winter leggings/trousers last year. I find them too tight on the thighs and too short in the leg...and i'm a pretty standard shape.

A brilliant anocronym CRANE from C+ some one used was:

Can't
Really
Afford
Nice
Equipment

Saying that I have some nice winter gear from there

Anybody tried their Greek specials on at the moment? very nice.

Brock

I've got various bits from Aldi and Lidl, the jackets especially are great. Go for it Marco P. We won't point and laugh, honest.

Peyote

I brought a two long sleeve tops from Aldi five years ago, they're still being used on a regular basis and a pair of shoes I got from Lidl two years ago are still going strong too!

Can't shake the feeling that I may have been supporting the owner of a sweat-shop in rural China though...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Peyote said:
I brought a two long sleeve tops from Aldi five years ago, they're still being used on a regular basis and a pair of shoes I got from Lidl two years ago are still going strong too!

Can't shake the feeling that I may have been supporting the owner of a sweat-shop in rural China though...

it's not just the cheap brands that do that peyote :blush:

Peyote

alecstilleyedye said:
it's not just the cheap brands that do that peyote :blush:

Yeah, that's true. I usually try to buy brands that claim to be made in Britain for the reasons mentioned and the fact that they don't have to be transported half way across the world, but they can be quite pricey. Polaris, Endura and Altura do some good stuff though.

Last autumn Aldi did flashing reflective arm bands which had an immediate effect on the space cars gave me. Get some. My only quibble with their stuff is the sizing - I'm small and all of their stuff is on the baggy side. Their winter tights with water resistant fronts are brilliant though; got as high a mark as Nike in the C+ test.

Blonde

I have owned Aldi jerseys which were perfectly OK. They worked. I didn't like the fit (very baggy - they didn't have any XS ones left when I went and all their sizing is enormous) or the way they looked, but they worked which is all you can expect for the price I guess. If you are on a tight budget then the jerseys are good. Other bike bits such as lights etc. I have not tried myself, but others have said are GVFM. I personally could not wear the shorts though, but then I've struggled for four years to find shorts that dont injure me and cause pain and I only ever wear Assos ones for long rides now. I think it depends on what you want the stuff to do. If used for commuting or short rides it may be OK for some people. I don't know anyone in my club who wears aldi stuff for any audaxes though and nearly all I know wear assos shorts for anything over 200km.

Membrane

Sizing of the Aldi Crane clothing can indeed be odd. In autumn 2006 I bought winter leggings and a winter jacket, both sized medium. The jacket was very big and loose fitting, but comfortable. The leggings were too tight and too short and only just usable.

In their spring 2007 offer of cycling clothing I didn't like the look of the jerseys on their website (manky colours and patterns) and decided to give those a miss, but once in the store they had very nice looking blue ones, so I got one plus a pair of shorts.

Expecting the same odd size on the shorts as on the winter leggings, I figured that due to the thinner and stretchier summer material a medium size would work for me this time. This turned out to be correct, the elastic on the waist band and the leg ends is a bit tight, but otherwise a nice skin tight fit. IMO wicking only works when a garment is tight against the skin. I also expected the Crane jerseys to be the same odd size as their jackets, so I bought a small instead of a medium size one, again hoping for a snug fit. The jersey fabric wasn't as flexible as I had hoped, it's a bit of a squeeze getting in and out of it, and once on it's still not skin tight like the shorts are, but it works well enough. Only real gripe is with the jersey zipper, it needs 2 hands to operate.

With Aldi prices I don't really mind the risk of buying a size that doesn't work, except for the jackets as they are a bit more expensive, but the jackets can be tried on in store. Just take a couple of sizes off the rack and step away from the usual "feeding frenzy at the zoo" scene that usually ensues when Aldi do cycling clothing, then you can try on a jacket and have a feel of the fabric quality without being in the middle of the maelstrom.

Tynan

Veteran
umm yeah

fit is all though in cycle clothing surely

can't say I fancy buying something like that and not being able to try it on

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The sizing is awful, the fit is awful, The function of the materials is terrible, Colours are really bad, the only good thing is the price.

It really does strike me as wasting money.

Soon to be in classifieds, Brand new bib longs, and a worn once thermal jacket

Top Bottom