Are B&Q THE most inept...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Become trade, just takes a bit of chat. Maybe I am lucky but with 5 large renovation projects and 1 New build over the years I have never had a company not want to sell to me.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Good, serves you right. Maybe if you'd supported some local retail outlets you would have received better service, not been sold the wrong tiles, not had stuff delivered damaged or if things had gone wrong you could have called in the shop and sorted things out with somebody face to face etc etc etc

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Good, serves you right. Maybe if you'd supported some local retail outlets you would have received better service, not been sold the wrong tiles, not had stuff delivered damaged or if things had gone wrong you could have called in the shop and sorted things out with somebody face to face etc etc etc
A bit sanctimonious there Mugshot old chap...........but so very right!!!

Mind you, a local tile shop massively over estimated the tiles for the new floors I had screeded and put underfloor heating under some time ago and got very stroppy when I wouldn't let them simply take the numerous unopened boxes back. I pointed out repeatedly that they were in fact mine as I had paid for them, but they got very stroppy and pretty threatening. I stood my ground (and then some actually) and they relented - eventually. They even threatened me with legal action which did give me a bit of a laugh.
They went out of business about 18 months after that. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of shysters!

Drago

Legendary Member
When I retire I fancy a little part time job in B&Q, because there ain't much work going on as they're all standing round gassing to their chums. Failing that maybe collecting in the trolleys at Tesco car park, but only if they give me one of those robot things like at the big branches.

My local B&Q aren't great. I went in recently looking for a bradawl. Couldn't find any on the shelves so asked. Not a single member of staff knew what one was, including the ones on the trade desk, and when I described it I got "sounds like it would be illegal, not sure we would be allowed to sell those"!

Ordered one off Amazon instead and the job waited a couple of days.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
What did you go online for then?
You dont have a choice. They (BnQ) have all or most of the doors they sell on display in the shop, they cant possibly keep em all in stock so you order them, but at least you can see them in the flesh first.
Ditto the bath.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Have you tweeted them?

Some companys are really on the ball with visable social meeedja.

These stores have range, many options and are lot more transparent than local trades. You got to be lucky if you meet a local trade that can get it right. Not that they are bad, but they do not have scale to offer the customer range and an attractive price. And the local trade also pick up their supplies from B&Q and screw fix (same owners).

More people increasingly now do DIY because they can't afford to hire local trade and there is also issue of tradesperson not turning up, completing 10% of the work and coming out with all kinds of excuses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member

A bit sanctimonious there Mugshot old chap...........but so very right

But so very wrong...I DID support a local retail outlet and I suspect Pat5mph did. I used my local branch of BnQ to look at the items then placed the order with the staff..in store. It then effectively becomes an online transaction.
Of course you may think..but BnQ are just a national outfit, not really a local outfit...the options ?..Wickes, national..Andrews builders..national...Travis Perkins..national, ..Magnets, national..etc etc etc. Theyre ALL faceless national companies, you'd be hard pressed to find a truly 'local' supplier. Thats the world we live in.
So the mistake was using BnQ..much the same in theory ask the rest of them, but apparently not....one mistake I wont be making again.

Nice empathy levels there Mugshot...

screenman

Legendary Member
These stores have range, many options and are lot more transparent than local trades. You got to be lucky if you meet a local trade that can get it right. Not that they are bad, but they do not have scale to offer the customer range and an attractive price. And the local trade also pick up their supplies from B&Q and screw fix (same owners).

More people now do DIY because they can't afford to hire local trade and there is also issue of tradesperson not turning up, completing 10% of the work and coming out with all kinds of excuses.

Where did you get most people from, amongst my friends and colleagues I am the only one that does my own DIY.

Also very few quality builders would use B&Q, they would be in Jewsons, Travis Perkins, Plumb Centre etc.

Where did you get most people from, amongst my friends and colleagues I am the only one that does my own DIY.

Also very few quality builders would use B&Q, they would be in Jewsons, Travis Perkins, Plumb Centre etc.

I stand corrected. it should be "More people increasingly now do DIY". Will edit.

Top Bottom