Are bike bags now cool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has the bikepacking look replaced the fakenger (fake messenger)?
I think you've probably got it in one there.
For you don't really hear the fakenger thing anymore.
Care to predict the next trend?
(of course there were always folk for whom backpacking made sense, just as there were real messengers, and real Cavs)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Care to predict the next trend?

I think there is an embryonic trend for the traditional look. So, casquette (minus helmet), leather shoes with laces and a musette.

Woah - that's some sweet gravel trail! You're smashing some quality bikepacking there, dude :notworthy:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the whole range of bags from ultra light to full touring. I have accumulated them over the years. I used to ride with Ortleib front and back rollers on the same bike and could quie easily fill them and have to leave "Essentials" at home. Then came the invention of ulta light tents, sleeping bags and sleeping mats. Shakedry jackets, super quick drying clothes. I didnt need all those bags and bit by bit they got whittled down. I can now quite happily tour in ultra light mode. For the first Transcontinental Race there were 11 riders and a few riders rode with panniers. Those who did well rode with almost nothing and Ultralight packing took off. Apidura got involved as sponsors of TCR and everyone wanted ultra light packing bags. Panniers all but disappeared. Then a couple of years ago Tailfin started producing ultralight pannier racks and bags and they started appearing in ultra races, including TCR. In the recent GBDuro almost all the riders had Tailfin racks and panniers. I have them on my bike. So there is no right or wrong when it comes to bags. But I promise you. The more space you have to fill. The more stuff you will find to fill it. 😁

Interesting post - you do highlight what seems to be a racing heritage in bikepacking.
Shakedry - i have an older gore which i rate and is pretty compact (for me) - i did once pic up a shakedry in a shop and was impressed by the materials tech - aren't they perhaps a bit delicate for touring though? am thinking in particular that if freecamping you might be brushing past the odd tree etc.
I personally tend towards the more heavyyweight maybe more durable stuff - in fact haven't used my Gore in a fair while - my favourite waterproof jacket for touring and general purpose use is a thing i picked up in aldi for £20, should have grabbed another for a tenner when I had the chance,.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My Gore C5 Shakedry jacket is the best piece of cycling kit I have ever bought. You are right though it is extremely light and feels flimsy. But I have found it to be very hard wearing. I have had it a year or more and there are no holes in it yet. I wear it almost every day as I ride to work in it, even in the summer. I have a rack full of other riding jackets. But they dont come close to the C5

The gear I would carry for an ultra race is the same gear I would carry touring, except for the tent. Then I can add a few luxuries. But it still doesnt come to much. I am always suprised at the sheer volume of stuff some riders tour with. Unless they have not switched over to lightweight gear. But it is not often cheap.

Top Bottom