Are bike bags now cool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Old style saddlebag for me every time. ( Recognise the bike Landsurfer? :hello:)

Pondered getting one of those things a couple of times (Carradice is very close to where I come from) but always rejected. Surely they mean you can never leave the bike?

Friend of mine has a quick release for her Carradice if that’s what you mean?
It’s something like this https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-sqr-saddlebag-uplift-system/
thanks vickster - was vaguely aware of - tho i think few folks use them - have the idea that saddlebags often used by folk who usually sit within sight of their bikes - will stick to panniers of different sizes, large underseat pack with tools which can rapidly be swapped between my many many bikes.

If anyone stole my bike I wouldnt be that upset, it’s only a machine, but if my Andrew Hague saddlebag clamp was on it I would burst into tears, they are irreplaceable.
For the uninitiated they fit on the saddle rails and hinge in the middle so can be removed in an instant.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Then a couple of years ago Tailfin started producing ultralight pannier racks and bags and they started appearing in ultra races, including TCR. In the recent GBDuro almost all the riders had Tailfin racks and panniers. I have them on my bike. So there is no right or wrong when it comes to bags. But I promise you. The more space you have to fill. The more stuff you will find to fill it. 😁

I've been eyeing up a Tailfin, but noticed that Gail Brown's broke whilst she was riding GBDuro!

By the way, I can't make any sense of the results of GBDuro. I thought Jason Black came second, but he's not listed in the results.

https://www.theracingcollective.com/gbduro.html#tracking

If Jason Black did finish second, that's a 1,2,3 for Mason Cycles (none of them using Tailfins!).

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Gails is the only Tailfin that I have seen break. She had Tailfin as did Chris Bowers, sharon Calton and at least one other. Josh is probably tied to another luggage company. I will ask about the result. Possibly a rule infringement. So a good proportion of the field had Tailfin. I can see quite a few appearing in TCR next year. I have had mine a couple of wedks and can see what all the fuss is about.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Gails is the only Tailfin that I have seen break. She had Tailfin as did Chris Bowers, sharon Calton and at least one other. Josh is probably tied to another luggage company. I will ask about the result. Possibly a rule infringement. So a good proportion of the field had Tailfin. I can see quite a few appearing in TCR next year. I have had mine a couple of wedks and can see what all the fuss is about.

Looks like Jason may have had GPS issues (along with a broken saddle), so maybe he's been DQ'd.

Which Tailfin did you go for, a rack+bag solution or the rigid seat pack option?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

MarkF

Guru
I only have one bike without a rack, minimalist to me is only going out with a Topeak rack bag, usually I'd have 1 or more panniers. Pub jaunts I use a Cordo pannier/satchel, can't imagine life without one, I don't like things in my pockets at all. It's been used 100's of times and is like new, was a sales bargain from Planet X

Last edited:
The first (and only!) ones I've seen in the wild were on TPR (October). maybe 3-4? Seem a decent - if expensive - choice for a mainly road event, but daft for 2000km of off-road!

1 breakage is not data - but that's one breakage amongst very few tested on long rides. Look how many metal racks have survived not just ultra-races, but many 1000km+ audaxes and of course, plenty of world tours over decades.

Then there's the green aspect of CF ... (ignores CF forks in own garage) ...

I only have one bike without a rack, minimalist to me is only going out with a Topeak rack bag, usually I'd have 1 or more panniers. Pub jaunts I use a Cordo pannier/satchel, can't imagine life without one, I don't like things in my pockets at all. It's been used 100's of times and is like new, was a sales bargain from Planet X
Do you have a link for the pannier satchel?
Or is it discontinued?

Top Bottom