Are Carbon frames the way forward?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Theres a u tube vid out there somewhere (anyone got a link ?) showing a carbon and alloy bike frame being tested to distruction in an engineering lab. The carbon bike was way stronger than the ally in every test.

Almost all good quality alloy bikes have a carbon fork anyway and that is probably the most highly stressed component on the bike.

Googled up the link http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

So what. Too many variables to say whether that's a binary result. Carbon weave will be a major determinant of a carbon frame's strength.

AndyPeace

I am currently riding a Triban 5a. I paid roughly £450 with pedals etc. It weighs in at around the 9kg mark and has full Sora gruppo. I have been thinking about getting a carbon framed bike and quite like
2014 Scott CR1 30. I have heard that carbon frames only have a shelf life of about 5 years and that they are not quite as hardy as alloy frames. Seeing as recently I have spent more time on my face sliding down the road than upright on my bike (3 falls in two months) I am wondering if this step up may be false economy.

Any input would be great.

Cheers.
Three falls in 8 weeks seems a lot to me, for road riding. I'd be wondering why this was happening before spilling cash on a new bike... though I've no doubt there are carbon bikes which will take the knocks.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My pal's 14y/o lad has just started junior racing on a high-end carbon Giant that's just cracked at the bottom-bracket, never crashed and less than 12mths old so like any engineered products they can have defects that lead them to fail. Frame-wise, Titanium seems to fail most, but unlike Carbon tends not to fail catastrophically. Steel and Alu frames can also fail.
Carbon forks however seem somewhat over engineered (thankfully) and rarely seem to fail.

This is only anecdata.

For my money I'm going high-end steel for my next frame, either a Ritchey Road Logic or a custom 853 Rourke for durability and comfort.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
A friend I ride with has just bought a CR1 with 105 group set fitted, he is very pleased with it. Increased his speed by a couple of mile an hour straight away over his steel framed Argos.

Well i went and had a ride around the estate, i went over a small kerb and a squashed plastic bottle and low and behold the frame was fine.
Seriously though it seemed a cracking bike, light and smooth and felt just right.
I will be purchasing it next week for sure.

OP
OP
BarnieBarnes

BarnieBarnes

Three falls in 8 weeks seems a lot to me, for road riding. I'd be wondering why this was happening before spilling cash on a new bike...

This bit is simple to answer. I am approaching the big four-0, i'm back into cycling after a number of years away. I'm also 3 stone overweight. However, in my head I am still 15 years old. I attack each and every corner as though my life depends on it. This fearless approach to riding was fine back in the 90s when the world was a different place. I'm slowly learning that I am now unable to be so gung-ho in my riding style. But hey cycling is supposed to be fun so I imagine there won't be a huge change in style!

Lanzecki

Über Member
This bit is simple to answer. I am approaching the big four-0, i'm back into cycling after a number of years away. I'm also 3 stone overweight. However, in my head I am still 15 years old. I attack each and every corner as though my life depends on it. This fearless approach to riding was fine back in the 90s when the world was a different place. I'm slowly learning that I am now unable to be so gung-ho in my riding style. But hey cycling is supposed to be fun so I imagine there won't be a huge change in style!

Ahh to be 15 again. Nothing was dangerous. Playing with ya mates was face to face. Summer hols were spend in the woods and hills around home. Noone worried where we were until dinnertime. 50 mph down the bill hill was everyone's goal (We used to draft cars)

So it's not just me that hasn't geown up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Carbon is amazing, I've recently traded up from a Roubaix SL3 to an SL4 and they are noticeably different - I just love the way the SL4 rides; you feel completely connected and in control yet it's comfortable and doesn't beat you up like steel or ali bikes I once owned. That improvement represents one year in carbon frame development.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Carbon is amazing, I've recently traded up from a Roubaix SL3 to an SL4 and they are noticeably different - I just love the way the SL4 rides; you feel completely connected and in control yet it's comfortable and doesn't beat you up like steel or ali bikes I once owned. That improvement represents one year in carbon frame development.
Remind me not to have a go on your bike until I can afford one! :thumbsup:

(If it is as good as you say, then I would be interested to see how it compares with my old aluminium CAAD5 Cannondale, but not now while I cannot buy a new bike.)

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Got a Look KG56 frame back in 1990, rode it for 10 years then gave it to my youngest brother who still rides it yet. How does it compare to steel? That's such a personal thing I think and no two people will agree. Had many carbon bikes through my hands when I had my bike shop and what was noticeable was the variation in quality of manufacture, reflected in ride quality. Got 7 bikes complete at the moment and two ongoing builds. All 531 steel as that is my personal preference but each to their own. Ride it, if you like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom