Are Carbon frames the way forward?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am currently riding a Triban 5a. I paid roughly £450 with pedals etc. It weighs in at around the 9kg mark and has full Sora gruppo. I have been thinking about getting a carbon framed bike and quite like
2014 Scott CR1 30. I have heard that carbon frames only have a shelf life of about 5 years and that they are not quite as hardy as alloy frames. Seeing as recently I have spent more time on my face sliding down the road than upright on my bike (3 falls in two months) I am wondering if this step up may be false economy.

Any input would be great.

Cheers.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My boat is carbon and has been in the water since 1971 They said this new fangled material wouldn't last back then .

If falling off a bike is something you do a lot, maybe carbon isnt for you?
Here is one I crashed into the back of a van at 27mph:

pic1_zps65d55ae5.jpg

pic5_zpsdf67bbd9.jpg

To be fair I dont think an ally frame would have faired much better.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have steel, alu and carbon. The carbon one is bottom end of the market but it feels light and vibrant, very direct. It's fairly new so I was apprehensive about it falling apart at the first hint of rain. As it happens, I managed to ride it into an oncoming car. Not a high speed collision but enough to throw me into a spot of bonnet valeting. I ended up with a slightly grazed elbow from landing on the tarmac, the car ended up with a little scratch and dent (I think it was the light on the handlebars that hit the bonnet and did that). The bike, however, came off undamaged. So, from personal experience, carbon frames don't actually fall apart that easily. The most rideable alu bikes I've ever been on have carbon forks anyway, and they've never been a problem for me either.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I am currently riding a Triban 5a. I paid roughly £450 with pedals etc. It weighs in at around the 9kg mark and has full Sora gruppo. I have been thinking about getting a carbon framed bike and quite like
2014 Scott CR1 30. I have heard that carbon frames only have a shelf life of about 5 years and that they are not quite as hardy as alloy frames. Seeing as recently I have spent more time on my face sliding down the road than upright on my bike (3 falls in two months) I am wondering if this step up may be false economy.

Any input would be great.

Cheers.

I am off this afternoon to test ride and decide if to buy or not the 2014 Scott CR1 10 , as its the same frame i will let you know if it made it round the block or fell to bits within yards of riding.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Some of the tripe people spew about carbon never gets old

I am off this afternoon to test ride and decide if to buy or not the 2014 Scott CR1 10 , as its the same frame i will let you know if it made it round the block or fell to bits within yards of riding.

A friend I ride with has just bought a CR1 with 105 group set fitted, he is very pleased with it. Increased his speed by a couple of mile an hour straight away over his steel framed Argos.

philtalksbx

Über Member
I swapped the mechanicals from a very tired Allez Sport onto an Orbea carbon frame from PlanetX. The bike was transformed - lighter, more nimble, and altogether smoother. A couple of thousand miles on and I'm really pleased with the result and would struggle to go back to Alu. I hear lots of really good things about the CR1 and may go that way myself one day if funds permit.

One thing I found with the carbon is flex - some frames will flex more at the bottom bracket if you really put some weight into the cranks. Mine does a bit and I have to adjust the front mech carefully to avoid chain rub.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Theres a u tube vid out there somewhere (anyone got a link ?) showing a carbon and alloy bike frame being tested to distruction in an engineering lab. The carbon bike was way stronger than the ally in every test.

Almost all good quality alloy bikes have a carbon fork anyway and that is probably the most highly stressed component on the bike.

Googled up the link http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

Top Bottom