Are Cheap Bikes worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Buying any bike whether new or used at that price is always going to be fraught with problems.
Don't buy from Argos they're not a bike dealer just a goods shifter. At least with Halfords they know about bikes and you have the reassurance that things can get fixed.
I would rather buy second hand and be prepared to spend a bit on sorting it, which inevitably you'll have to do.
A older non suspension mountain bike would be ideal. A quick search of Gumtree reveals loads in Belfast.
This is an Raleigh Massif from the early 90's, just £30 Antrim Rd. That's the sort of thing you should be looking for, steer clear of full suspension, front suspension is okay if the bike is good order but will be a bit heavy.
Make sure the seat post moves and not seized in the frame.

View attachment 707633

I had one of them and loved it , bullet proof.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
You get what you pay for, I've had bikes in the £600-£900 category which have been really awful with cheap components so god knows what that bike would be like.
If I were you I'd get a Carrera secondhand off Facebook marketplace.

I dont like the phrase "you get what you pay for" That implies just because it is more expensive it must be better.
You can still fork out a lot of money and get cheap crap in return

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Have a look around and see if you have any community bike recycling projects in your area.
They will be able to sort you out with a suitable bike at a reasonable price.
Or can keep an eye out for something that may came in that suit you.
Im sure there must be something like that in Belfast but I dont seem to be able to find one.

I dont like the phrase "you get what you pay for" That implies just because it is more expensive it must be better.
You can still fork out a lot of money and get cheap crap in return

You can, but there is a definite link between price of bikes and their quality. I have lots of people wanting a "good quality and solid bike to get to work" for 100€ or less, and often have to explain to them that I can't provide what they want for what they are willing to pay.

I think you have to look at this in a different way; as others have said, 100 GBP is a couple of times filling the petrol tank or a few weeks of public transport use so unless your commute is less than a couple of miles, a somewhat more expensive bike will pay for itself in a very short time. In my own case I paid 300 GBP in for a commuter to ride about 10-15 miles to work when I got my first job; that was in 1997 and I still commute on the same bike today, so it's cost me very little over the last 26 years, and is still looking pretty smart...

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have cycled thousands of miles on a 1994 Marin bought in 2019 for well under £100. It has needed maintenance in that time, as any bike would. It's still the bike I go to whenever I just want to get somewhere.

In 2020 I assembled a neighbour's £100 new bike and gave it a test ride. It was inferior in every respect. Brakes, paintwork, the lot.

If I wanted a commuter bike quickly I'd find my nearest bicycle recycling project and get something that fits and that has been checked over.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Buying any bike whether new or used at that price is always going to be fraught with problems.
Don't buy from Argos they're not a bike dealer just a goods shifter. At least with Halfords they know about bikes and you have the reassurance that things can get fixed.
I would rather buy second hand and be prepared to spend a bit on sorting it, which inevitably you'll have to do.
A older non suspension mountain bike would be ideal. A quick search of Gumtree reveals loads in Belfast.
This is an Raleigh Massif from the early 90's, just £30 Antrim Rd. That's the sort of thing you should be looking for, steer clear of full suspension, front suspension is okay if the bike is good order but will be a bit heavy.
Make sure the seat post moves and not seized in the frame.

View attachment 707633

^^ wot ee said.

The Halfords one is not a bike. It's a BSO.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
You can, but there is a definite link between price of bikes and their quality. I have lots of people wanting a "good quality and solid bike to get to work" for 100€ or less, and often have to explain to them that I can't provide what they want for what they are willing to pay.

I think you have to look at this in a different way; as others have said, 100 GBP is a couple of times filling the petrol tank or a few weeks of public transport use so unless your commute is less than a couple of miles, a somewhat more expensive bike will pay for itself in a very short time. In my own case I paid 300 GBP in for a commuter to ride about 10-15 miles to work when I got my first job; that was in 1997 and I still commute on the same bike today, so it's cost me very little over the last 26 years, and is still looking pretty smart...
yes. another question i dont like is "What is your budget"

you should be asking. How much do I need to spend to get what I want

There's some good cheap bikes out there if you are savvy but there also a lot of heavy junk which will rust, fall apart and put you off cycling for life. When I commuted into central Cambridge and bike parking was open air racks, I commuted on a Decathlon BTwin Triban and that coped with just over 6,000 miles and would still be going if I hadn't swapped it for another bike I had in storage. IMO its one of the few good cheap bikes.

Top Bottom