Are Cheap Bikes worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What you'll also find with a BSO is the wheels will be cack. I once had a bike stolen from the house and the insurance company coughed up a new one, not an 'ultra cheapy' but it just would not pick up any sort of speed and the hubs were worked on (by me) so I lashed out on some relatively inexpensive ones (about £120 the pair) knocked nearly 10 minutes off my commute. Now Maz's bike had quite damaged wheels so I fitted the ones off the bike to that, same again, fine up to about 15mph then that was it but Maz never went that fast so it was fine for her.

Im in the market for a new commuter bike but on a buget. Ive been scaning the used adverts in my local area but finding something I like in the correct size is proving difficult.

Link to argos bike

This bike from argos is £109. seems to good to be true. what are the pitfalls of buying such a low end bike. Can you make it good with a few choice upgrades. Or do you really get what you pay for and I should spend extra getting somthing of better quality
View attachment 707625

Most of it will be made of cheese and will break within minutes. Not worth it.

My first commuter bike was a borrowed full susp MTB then I traded up onto a Carerra Subway through Cycle2Work.

If you don't have a cycle to work scheme then you can get discounts on Halfords bikes by joining CyclingUk or BritishCycling.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Check Halfords second hand bikes. I saw some Carrera branded ones started at £105 for a grade C (reasonably worm parts) or £130 for grade B (slightly worn parts).

I didn't check in your area though so plug in your post code into Halfords and see if anything suitable comes along.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
What’s the commute like, that you want this bike for ?

I know what I really want but it costs £1600

johnnyb47

Guru
I suppose if you're only buying to commute and the route is not to long or demanding any bike would do.If you do opt to buying the Argos bike ,just be prepared to knowing you will need to replace parts more often as they will not last as long.If you get on with the bike, there's no reason why you couldn't replace the worn parts with better quality items when time comes.

Alex321

Veteran
I dont like the phrase "you get what you pay for" That implies just because it is more expensive it must be better.
You can still fork out a lot of money and get cheap crap in return
While it is certainly true that you can still get poor quality when spending a lot, that statement is much more true the other way around.

You can't generally get quality without paying for it.

Alex321

Veteran
yes. another question i dont like is "What is your budget"

you should be asking. How much do I need to spend to get what I want

But your first post said "but I'm on a budget". It is hard to advise without some idea of what the most you are willing to spend may be.

Top Bottom