Are Cheap Bikes worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Keep a look on Gumtree, Facebook, Belfastfreecycle, northdownfreecycle and zerowaste ni, there where 2 bikes given free on zerowaste ni a few days ago,Only advice i can offer about buying used is to bring a friend that knows a bit about bikes as its not long to rack up a large bill if you need tyres chain and cassette etc.
You could also put a wanted add on both freecycle and zerowaste ni, never know your luck?

Jody

Stubborn git
Just looked on Facebook market place Belfast (25km radius) and there are plenty of reasonable looking MTB's for not much money.

GT Avalanche 29er at £160 would be my punt

Quite a few Carreras for around the £70-120 mark

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
39-98d60635f5a5_2.7ffc8fa45f46cd7f6b9aaa219b91f14b.jpg

Sharky

Guru
I still don't think it has been established yet, how far is the commute?

up to 3 miles, I would be walking
3-5 miles, almost any BSO, would work.
Over 5 and approaching an hour each way is an ideal commuting distance and reliability of the bike becomes more significant.

vickster

Legendary Member
I assume that's another piece of information that the OP isn't going to divulge. Along with every other variable we're expected to guess for the privilege of attempting to help them out..

I think it’s about 3 miles. Originally he was considering a less than legal ebike?

Sharky

Guru
I think it’s about 3 miles. Originally he was considering a less than legal ebike?

A nice brisk walk into work. Proberley would only take 45 mins.
I've walked further on my commute into london, at either end of the train. Especially in London, a walk overland (a park if you are lucky) is much preferable to taking the underground.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Univega, not Omega. Wikipedia will give you the history.

Check it over; does it fit? Does the seatpost move or is it stuck? Is the stem free or is it stuck? Are the wheels straight and do they run freely?

If all is good it'll need mudguards, lights, probably chainset, chain and cassette.

If I needed a commuter I'd say it could be the basis of a decent one.

If all is OK probably worth £30 imo

How can you tell it needs a new chain set from the photo.

Top Bottom