Are cyclists allowed on 'Except Buses' lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Its only a "No Entry" Sign. I can't see a sign snowing it's a bus lane. So nothing stopping you walking your bike passed the sign then getting back on and cycling down that road.

andyfraser

Über Member
If it doesn't say cyclists are allowed then I don't cycle there. Knowing my luck I'll get stopped and fined for doing it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It might have integral wheels. A hidden rollerskate sort of thing.

(would it be allowed in the bus lane?)
I am not a lawyer, but I would argue that unless it can be considered to be a vehicle (or a "carriage"), then the laws which regulate where vehicles may go cannot apply [*]. Therefore, if pedestrians are allowed in the bus lane, so is she. Are bus lanes created by TROs? I guess you'd have to check the wording.

[*] This is the basis on which I have convinced myself that rollerskating on bus lanes is OK, at least.

subaqua

What’s the point
There's a stretch of road near me where the writing on the road is 'Buses only'.

But the blue signpost has a symbol of a bicycle on it.
It's the signage that counts not the road markings . There used to be a bus lane along cassland road but wasn't ratified by hackney and signs for hours of operation didn't get fitted. The road was painted and I used to really love driving my van down it when all others were queuing and not realising no operational hours stated meant it was a lane.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I am not a lawyer, but I would argue that unless it can be considered to be a vehicle (or a "carriage"), then the laws which regulate where vehicles may go cannot apply [*]. Therefore, if pedestrians are allowed in the bus lane, so is she. Are bus lanes created by TROs? I guess you'd have to check the wording.

[*] This is the basis on which I have convinced myself that rollerskating on bus lanes is OK, at least.

Ooooh crikey...arguing against a law! Didn't Wesley Snipes try that?

Tommy2

Über Member
I was nearly hit by a cyclist who did go through -baring in mind I was on the look out for buses, not bikes.
View attachment 83552

Mr Celine

Discordian
.... however, yesterday whilst at the other end of the lane (you can just make out a white car at the end) I was nearly hit by a cyclist who did go through -baring in mind I was on the look out for buses, not bikes.
Are cyclists allowed into this Bus Only section or was he being a naughty boy?

It depends on where the bus only restriction begins and ends.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=5..._YC94Ac7RDDAQ&cbp=12,276.96,,0,21.88&t=m&z=11

If you look at the other end of the lane the blue 'one way street' sign is not positioned at the beginning of the street, but after the Out of Wood shop, implying that this end of the street is two way. The cyclist who skillfully avoided the inattentive pedestrian may have legally set off from Out of Wood, or may have been making a speedy escape from the pale-blue shirted gorilla outside the Wig and Pen.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Us lucky folk in Northampton town have such a sign on a stretch of road that says 'Buses Only' then has an ASL for cyclists at the traffic lights at the end of it....

As our American cousins say... Go figure!

Top Bottom