Are cyclists bigger than the average population?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Most bikes fall into the too small category for me. I'm a tad over 6'5", and on my vintage steel bikes (24.5") I have around 5" of seatpost showing. I use 400mm seatposts on pretty much all my bikes and even with 175mm cranks that's barely enough.

pjd57

Veteran
Most bikes fall into the too small category for me. I'm a tad over 6'5", and on my vintage steel bikes (24.5") I have around 5" of seatpost showing. I use 400mm seatposts on pretty much all my bikes and even with 175mm cranks that's barely enough.
That's a long way to fall

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm just over 6ft, I prefer 24-25inch frames. Most new bikes seem too small, it's not just the frame size, it's the geometry. With an extended stem I feel like I'm too far over the front wheel.

I'm just under 6 ft and I find a 23"/23 1/2" frame very comfortable, and whilst I can straddle a bigger frame, they don't inspire any confidence in the event of a sudden dismount being required! I have an old Raleigh MTB in 23", but because of the extra high BB clearance, the crossbar is probably more-or-less where it would be on a 24" road bike. I've got no intention of riding it off road, because I don't fancy certain tender bits getting bruised if I hit a big bump and come a cropper. In fact on an MTB, my ideal frame size is more like 21-22" to give that little extra bit of margin for error.
I don't like riding silly small frames though, and I think they feel different, possibly because a small triangle will be much stiffer than a large one if made from the same tubing. Small bikes seem to ride more harshly than big framed ones.

brommie.JPG
A lot of bollox used to be talked about frame sizing, with riders endlessly pondering about whether they should get a 22. 1/2" or a 23" frame. In truth most of us could easily cope with a 3" tolerance with no difference at all, as long as post adjustment and stem size put you in your ideal position.
Very true.One of my bikes is 19.5 inch and another 57cm (almost 22 and a half inches) - both are fine. Someone suggested that the first bike was too small for me and that there was too much seatpost exposed but I have checked and it is fine - has been for 20 years.
Oh, another bike is the thing in the pic. And I have a speed pro, this:

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/dahon/speed-pro-tt-2011

Can't measure them at the mo but the BB to top of the seat post on those would be something tiny.

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
Thinking about it, it's possible that most people who are into athletic pursuits are taller than average because they performed them more easily as children due to being taller, stronger etc. And so didn't give up on sports at a young age. Before I get shot down in flames , obviously shorthouses are good at sports too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thinking about it, it's possible that most people who are into athletic pursuits are taller than average because they performed them more easily as children due to being taller, stronger etc. And so didn't give up on sports at a young age. Before I get shot down in flames , obviously shorthouses are good at sports too.
Which is excellent reasoning except for two small flaws: 1. A lot of people who cycle gave up on sports because most sports are an excuse for thugs to kick lumps out of you; 2. cycling isn't necessarily a sport.

Which is excellent reasoning except for two small flaws: 1. A lot of people who cycle gave up on sports because most sports are an excuse for thugs to kick lumps out of you; 2. cycling isn't necessarily a sport.

I came to cycling because the nearest fencing club is the other side of Cambridge and involves a nearly 40 mile round trip. At least with the bike, I can get out whenever I've got some time spare and when it suits me.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't find that many large frames on ebay. Luckily over the years I've managed to obtain a few, but 25" seem to be few and far between. I've a Galaxy at 25.5". I feel I'm perched on top of smaller frames and much more comfortable on the bigger sizes though they do seem to flex a bit. The smallest I ride now is 24.5". Or a 59cm Ali frame. The smaller guys on the small frames whizz past me on the hills. Clothing is a bigger problem. Most long sleeve cycling tops/jackets rarely cover my wrists. Blue wrists in the winter.

Top Bottom