Are cyclists bigger than the average population?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just looked at a posting by @biggs682 in the Vintage section, where yet another HUGE framed classic steel machine has turned up. A quick browse of sites such as eBay and Gumtree will reveal loads of these extra large steel frames looking for new owners. When you consider the average size of a grown adult, there seems to be a disproportionate number of really large frame bikes in relation to the height distribution of the population. That begs the question; are cyclists typically taller than average, and are tall people more attracted to cycling than short people?

Small frames and miles of seatpost are a relatively new thing, bigger frames used to be the norm.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just looked at a posting by @biggs682 in the Vintage section, where yet another HUGE framed classic steel machine has turned up. A quick browse of sites such as eBay and Gumtree will reveal loads of these extra large steel frames looking for new owners. When you consider the average size of a grown adult, there seems to be a disproportionate number of really large frame bikes in relation to the height distribution of the population. That begs the question; are cyclists typically taller than average, and are tall people more attracted to cycling than short people?

Well i am 5ft 10" and can just about straddle a 25" frame and in fact i prefer the bigger sized bikes for some reason they just ride a bit nicer in my mind

Tin Pot

Guru

People, I mean men of course, don’t like anything labelled small and won’t buy them. This means that there is a huge amount of oversized product in general, not bikes uniquely.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It was due to the 'free milk' we got at school in the 60s, shame the witch stopped it in 74. :cursing:
Aye, that Harold Wilson was a real witch! :okay:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Inn the seventies the milk was probably laced with sedatives anyway.
I'm pretty sure mine was cut with ketamine

21990485._SY540_.jpg

Top Bottom