Are cyclists exempt from speed limits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Magistrate in "doesn't actually know the law" shocker.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
How does a cyclist know how fast he's going? :-s
Bike computer

If they have one. :thumbsup:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I guess that is the crux of the debate, are they or aren't they, and as you say if indeed they are then both the police and (magistrate) courts are in need of some updating on the subject....

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 already defines a pedal cycle as:

"A vehicle which is not constructed or adapted to be propelled by mechanical power and which is equipped with pedals, ..."
The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as

"a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".
The definition used by The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 for a 'vehicle' is
"a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road"
Clearly, a pedal cycle is already considered not to be propelled by mechanical power therefore cannot be judged to be a "motor vehicle" under general road traffic acts nor a "vehicle" under the Royal Parks Regulations.

In my opinion the police were wrong to charge him and court was wrong to convict the cyclist of speeding.

GC

Fasta Asloth

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 already defines a pedal cycle as:

The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as

The definition used by The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 for a 'vehicle' is

Clearly, a pedal cycle is already considered not to be propelled by mechanical power therefore cannot be judged to be a "motor vehicle" under general road traffic acts nor a "vehicle" under the Royal Parks Regulations.

In my opinion the police were wrong to charge him and court was wrong to convict the cyclist of speeding.

GC
I don't personally disagree with you GC, and is indeed worrying, perhaps, that both police and magistrates are interpreting the definitions differently...

Top Bottom