Are Fax Machines outdated now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Of course, thousands! Take a look at the telephone book on the yellow pages, there are millions of companies in Europe that have telephone and fax numbers. Thousands of post offices provide fax services for customers who don't have a fax machine. In addition, there are tens of thousands of banks and insurance companies worldwide, all of which cannot do without fax. The assertion that these devices would be superfluous is therefore completely out of touch with reality!:headshake:

You use the Yellow Pages to justify that Faxes are still relevant to business - are you crazy?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I remember back in the 80's. The company I was working with at the time Telexed all the customers to ask if any of them would be buying one of the new Fascimile machines as they were thinking of it.

I remember when it turned up. We all gathered round to watch a fax come in on the thermal paper.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
At a previous employment, I once asked someone to send me a copy of a document and got a fax of a black square with hole in the middle.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I still have a laser fax which copies as well as the copier [except it's B+W not colour]. Still good for confidential contracts which, providing the receiver is standing by the fax, isn't stored or seen by anyone else...

Slick

Guru
The spam was a nightmare too. I would come in on a Monday morning to what looked like some kind of decorating accident.

My dad's office had a teleprinter. They also had an electronic calculator. Both were bleeding edge, tip of the spear, blue sky thinking, 360 degree technology.

NightCruiser

Here is a practical example from a high-industry country:

Yamaha Motorcycle Sales Japan Co., Ltd.

ヤマハ発動機販売本社/関東営業所
〒144-0035
東京都大田区南蒲田2丁目16-2
テクノポート三井生命ビル3F
TEL 03-5713-3820 FAX 03-5713-3932
Why do these companies have fax machines? Certainly not just for fun!

Jimidh

Veteran
We still receive faxed prescriptions through because despite being told not to do so GP practices either don’t have the equipment or trained staff to scan and email.

We also have to fax anonymised prescriptions to certain suppliers to order stock.

We probably send or receive a fax most days.

Top Bottom