Are Fax Machines outdated now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've never used a fax machine
too modern for you ?? :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I recall starting work in 1962 in a big insurance company. They used micro fische. I found that amazing.
I believe that system is still being used today.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've heard that crap in the UK, albeit probably 10 years ago. When they explained this was the reason I couldn't email the doc to them, I took the file and pasted my signature from another document into the sig box, printed it out and faxed it to them. While a forensic examination of the jpg/gif/png attached to an email might have shown that I hadn't signed it, once it was printed off and faxed, it would be impossible to tell.

But I ticked their ridiculous "make it legal" box.

I deal with this sort of stuff every day of the week. I just print the email, the file attached, whatever. Sign it with a pen. Then scan it and email it back

Even fancy dan lawyers are happy with this. Eventually, they want the hard copy you signed but that's for their records only. They're fine with scans

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
After the recent O2 saga and fears about Mr Putin's hackers, I've made my communications systems more robust.
carrier pigeon.jpg

I deal with this sort of stuff every day of the week. I just print the email, the file attached, whatever. Sign it with a pen. Then scan it and email it back

Even fancy dan lawyers are happy with this. Eventually, they want the hard copy you signed but that's for their records only. They're fine with scans
This was quite a few years ago, and what you describe is exactly what I wanted to do.

I think people have got less stupid.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
We used to even get fax spam, unwanted adverts. Got annoyed once after still getting them after complaining I faxed 10 sheets of black paper one evening when they’d all gone home. Ads stopped after that.

I remember doing something similar, except that I taped 4 sheets of A4 in a continuous loop and let the machine run for 30 minutes while it sent them over and over again to the perpetrator.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Could you name some decent use cases? I for one cannot think of a single company I would want to do business with that uses faxes. We got rid of our faxes over 10 years ago (multinational with more than 9000 employees).
When responding under the terms of a contract you signed 20-odd years ago saying that you could contact the other party on a specific fax number. My previous company's legal department kept its fax line for exactly this reason. My current organisation has a fax line in the investment team for a very similar reason.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
We still have to use the fax at work. All dealings with our rostering department have to be written & faxed & there is no facility to send documents electronically for us drivers :blush: I'm not sure which is oldest, the trains we drive, or the technology we use :laugh:

Lullabelle

Banana
The boss asked me to get rid of ours a couple of weeks ago, haven't used it for so long it was a waste to keep it sitting there and paying out every month for a line that wasn't being used.

Top Bottom