Are GPS devices accurate enough to be used as evidence in accidents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Why would someone do a mass edit of the files? surely the use of something like DigitalEPO would be a lot simpler and easier
Digital EPO which is used to increase the speed of a ride. That is helpful in the context of an accident. Yes officer, I used this cheating barsteward app to make me look 20% faster as I rear-ended the motorcyclist.

Might as well tattoo GUILTY on your forehead and wear your trousers low in prison

But this all assumes you are,

1. Alive after the accident
  2. Capable of operating a computer
  3. Able to modify GPS data
  4. In posession of the GPS unit
  5. Not in custody

Canrider

Guru
And how would you account for, acceleration and deceleration at every single point where the data is recorded? You didn't start your journey at x speed and continue that way for all of it.

So. Too big to edit immediately,and easily prior to an accident.(and that's just one data field) I think so.

TBH, I just used the example of a car speeding as a convenience for demonstrating how easily the XML could be modified en masse (in this case, to remove evidence of a car exceeding the speed limit at some point during its journey). Work out max speed, remove some factor X to make sure it never goes over the limit, and you were never speeding (unless they work through the trig of your XYZ and timestamps and compare that with the modified speed field--now *that* would take some work.

(Editing 'prior to an accident' wouldn't make much sense, would it? ;) )

T.M.H.N.E.T

TBH, I just used the example of a car speeding as a convenience for demonstrating how easily the XML could be modified en masse (in this case, to remove evidence of a car exceeding the speed limit at some point during its journey). Work out max speed, remove some factor X to make sure it never goes over the limit, and you were never speeding (unless they work through the trig of your XYZ and timestamps and compare that with the modified speed field--now *that* would take some work.
I don't disagree it can be done. But I can't see how it can be done convincingly/easily and quickly after an accident. Much to say,if you wanted to appear innocent by not being there(a simple delete of the log file?), moving slower or being stationary - it would be overall difficult.

The cycling logs are further interesting if you have other factors like power,cadence and HR. All of which would require editing (on their own merits) ie: you can't be producing power with 0 cadence, nor are you likely to have 165BPM hr throughout all of the ride as you would naturally recover to some degree whilst stopped,coasting or descending.

10T16:18:00Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>4.12</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>38.12</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.572588" lon="-5.959830"><ele>36.67</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:18:08Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>9.61</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>43.76</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.573792" lon="-5.957840"><ele>26.09</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:18:27Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>6.86</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>42.35</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.573902" lon="-5.957675"><ele>24.17</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:18:33Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>1.37</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>42.35</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.574158" lon="-5.957292"><ele>23.21</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:18:42Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>5.49</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>42.35</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.574690" lon="-5.956520"><ele>21.29</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:18:53Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>8.24</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>40.94</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.575498" lon="-5.955371"><ele>18.88</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:19:09Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>6.86</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>38.12</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.576383" lon="-5.954167"><ele>20.81</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:19:25Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>9.61</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>36.71</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.577566" lon="-5.952693"><ele>19.84</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:19:41Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>9.61</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>35.29</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.578819" lon="-5.951202"><ele>21.29</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:19:57Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>10.98</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>33.88</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.580033" lon="-5.949754"><ele>24.65</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:20:13Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>9.61</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>36.71</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.580901" lon="-5.948575"><ele>25.13</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:20:27Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>5.49</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>38.12</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.581230" lon="-5.948149"><ele>23.69</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:20:35Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>8.24</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>38.12</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.581902" lon="-5.947199"><ele>24.65</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:20:48Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:speed>4.12</gpxtpx:speed><gpxtpx:course>39.53</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.581939" lon="-5.947143"><ele>24.65</ele><time>2012-08-10T16:20:56Z</time><extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:course>39.53</gpxtpx:course></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions></trkpt><trkpt lat="54.582112" lon="-5.946886"><ele>25.61</ele><time>2012-08-
As an aside. Taken off my sisters Garmin Nuvi(completely raw)

(Editing 'prior to an accident' wouldn't make much sense, would it? ;) )
< Can't think of anything clever> :shy:

PK99

Legendary Member
just a snippet the share: I had a very close pass by a very large coach the other week i braked as he passed (on the hill down from Epsom downs near Nescot). My garmin 800 log clearly shows a spike in heart rate and reduction in speed

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Holy moly.

What did I provoke there.

Whilst I very much doubt that most people would have the knowledge or patience to ammend a GPS file, as (I think) has been covered by others, I meant that as evidence GPS tracks would be easily dismissable by opposing council as inherently inaccurate or that the integrity could not be validated.

Yep.

I think that is the case the .gpx file is too long and complicated to edit for most folk but the possibility remains and some 'clever' lawyer would use that, so even if it was 100% accurate I don't think it could be used :wacko:

This.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Just to be clear.

If one of you happened to be involved in a non-fault accident (and you had GPS logging to back that up,whether by your direction or speed) but the opposite party doesn't admit liability. ie: your word vs his/hers

You wouldn't mention it as part of the case as it's inadmissible - Or would you contest the claim with as much evidence as possible?

I know what I (or my family) would do..

Some insurance companies use them to reduce insurance tariffs

They use the data to determine milage, driving style and other information (including curfews on younger drivers)

GrasB

Veteran
There are two kinds of gps accuracy. Absolute & relative. You can have high relative accuracy but not absolute accuracy. Most devices have good relative accuracy, unfortunately in a collision you need both types of accuracy.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Without looking into it I guess a nerd could quite quickly parse the file and multiply the time indexes by a small amount to stretch out the points and reduce the values in the speed tags by the same amount.

I don't think its a case of average accuracy though as much as it is reliability of data and I doubt that's high enough on consumer units to be considered, but my legal knowledge is virtually non-existent. :smile:

Lets not forget that for every nerd who can alter a file, there is another nerd who will be able to show that the file has been altered!

Interesting case from the US about GPS as evidence....
Guy robs a bank and the money he is given contains a GPS Tracker

He is then followed and picked up, charged and goes to court

Then there is an argument about the evidence provided by the GPS

He argues that it is illegal to have tracked him using a GPS system without his knowledge and consent. The GPS tarckis therefore inadmissible

The bank argues that they were tracking their property and the fact that this also tracked the individual is coincidental. It is therefore admissible

The argument was resolved by loking at the reason the data was created in teh first place, and deemed admissible.

It does come up with an interesting point though.

If a driver's company is using a real time tracking system it would need to prove that the vehicle was being tracked, and not the driver, r alternatively obtain consent

T.M.H.N.E.T

If a driver's company is using a real time tracking system it would need to prove that the vehicle was being tracked, and not the driver, r alternatively obtain consent
That does get interesting. Especially if the vehicle tracker shows it to be somewhere it shouldn't, perhaps suggesting that the driver (who would be aware of the trackers existence) was doing a bit of extra curricular work.

Top Bottom