Are heart rate monitors any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Bit off topic, but why should cycling in the morning be more commitment than at any other time? unless of course you suffer from heavy quilt syndrome.

Bit off topic, but why should cycling in the morning be more commitment than at any other time? unless of course you suffer from heavy quilt syndrome.
Not talking about commuting here. I could think of a few reasons off the top of my head regarding pleasure riding though.
To make it more fun why not give an answer in emoticons.

Most be people are :tired: in the morning and would rather read the morning :reading:.
Early mornings require extra motivation, not to mention mornings are f*cking :cold::excl:

If riding before :hungry: you will be seriously lacking energy.

So to summarise, people who :bicycle: in the mornings before work (not commuting) are :ninja: (read tougher) than kevlar.
Ask Chuck Norris, he won't go near them. True story.

screenman

Legendary Member
I take it you are not a morning person, as everything you have listed is the opposite of this household. I like nothing better than being out on the roads before most people wake up, and the feeling of achievement of a job done lasts with me all day. Of course there is always the opportunity to fit two rides into one day, or less of a chance of missing a ride due to unforeseen commitments that arise later in the day.

Some people can do mornings some cannot, I fully accept that.

Licramite

Über Member
actualy if its for your turbo trainer , forget the heart rate monitor, get an mp3 player - ZZtop and - BURN.
I set a fan up to stop me melting - it does help and if your tough put it in front so your cycling into a headwind all the time.

I hate exercise in the morning , 6.15 - 3mile run I hated it, and I was useless (well my mates said I was useless all the time)
But it is definately harder. - in my younger days I liked early morning cycle rides.

as for loosing weight, if you burn 400calories on your bike, you can eat 400calories for fre
but its true - exercise all you like , you have to eat sensibly all the time to loose weight.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
actualy if its for your turbo trainer , forget the heart rate monitor, get an mp3 player - ZZtop and - BURN.
I set a fan up to stop me melting - it does help and if your tough put it in front so your cycling into a headwind all the time.

I hate exercise in the morning , 6.15 - 3mile run I hated it, and I was useless (well my mates said I was useless all the time)
But it is definately harder. - in my younger days I liked early morning cycle rides.

as for loosing weight, if you burn 400calories on your bike, you can eat 400calories for fre
but its true - exercise all you like , you have to eat sensibly all the time to loose weight.

A HRM comes into it's own when working on the turbo trainer! Headwind.............. LOL - Are you serious?

400bhp

Guru
It's an interesting thread this and most of you talk a lot of common sense.

In a nutshell, that's what it's about really.

From experience, a HRM is another broad gauge for me to see how hard I am working. I find interesting when my body is telling me one thing and my heart rate tells me another (that's for another thread).

Like with most things to do with your body, fitness and exercise, using one measure is too simplistic.

No matter what 'zone' you 'train' in for what duration, if, over time, your calorific intake is greater than your calorific burn rate you won't lose weight.

I don't use an HRM for weight loss - I use it to tell me how fast my heart is beating and for gauging what % of my max I am riding at. It's not much use for anything else...and the calorie estimates on HRMs are completely useless anyway...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I don't use an HRM for weight loss - I use it to tell me how fast my heart is beating and for gauging what % of my max I am riding at. It's not much use for anything else...and the calorie estimates on HRMs are completely useless anyway...
I am the same. Tells me roughly how hard I am pushing myself. I wouldn't try to read too much else into it. Apart from if it stopped I am either dead or it needs a new battery.:whistle:

Licramite

Über Member
your turbo trainer ussually has a cycling computer on it giving you calorie data ectra.
the heart rate monitor is a good safety device to stop you over exercising.

I admit I set the fan up behind me as I must go faster with a tailwind:laugh:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
your turbo trainer ussually has a cycling computer on it giving you calorie data ectra.
the heart rate monitor is a good safety device to stop you over exercising.

I admit I set the fan up behind me as I must go faster with a tailwind:laugh:

No they don't!

tadpole

Eh? Calorie estimates based on HR data are little better than a wild guess.
Ok, how do you calculate the burn more accurately?
I’ve seen/used MET table values and they come pretty close to what my HRM says. I’ve used online calculators and they too are within 100 to 150 Calories. What other way do you suggest?

Licramite

Über Member
I thought the equivalent of a cycling computer was fairly standard on all indoor cycling trainers,
didn,t realise some didn,t have them.
how accurate they are who knows? I rely on mine to give a figure to work too for calories burned - its probably set on - not to depressing -mode.

Top Bottom