Are helmets compulsory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Just wondering.

Reason for asking is some dopey woman goes across one of those "dustbin" roundabout without looking right and I was coming from the right! :biggrin::angry:

Anyway, she parks up at sports centre to I pedal up to her to ask here if she was aware of what she did.

So she starts a go at me for not wearing a helmet!

FFS like it is my fault and not hers for not looking!!!

Anyway, hence the question.

I for sure have not heard that it is compulsory by law to wear a helmet - any one know for sure?

Helmets are only compulsory for certain races, at all other times in the UK helmets are purely personal choice.

Maz

Guru
HC rule 59 says

Clothing. You should wear

a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened

So, I would understand it as an advisory only. Not compulsory.

wafflycat

General cycling: lid NOT compulsory. The HC is advisory only.

Adult riding in a formal CTT timetrial: lid not compulsory
Under 18 riding in a formal time trial: lid compulsory

Riding in British Cycling/UCI race: lid compulsory

Wearing or not wearing of a lid does not reduce numbers of idiots behind wheels of motor vehicles

It is an unfortunate effect of cyclings media portrayal in the media as dangerous, they always show an unhelmeted muppet on a BSO flying through red lights or riding on a pavement. The a "good cyclist" in high viz, helmet and cycle clothing on a Real Bicycle.

The average person in the street doesn't know the difference, or even care that there is one, between a hooligan on a BSO and a Real Cyclist - the only thing they know is that on the news there was this guy wearing a helmet being good and a nutter eating babies whilst snatching old ladies handbags at 20mph on a pavement and not wearing one.

If helmets are going to be optional, I think the media has a responsibility to make sure that the public is not misinformed about this, and that they know that even a properly fitting and adjusted helmet is likely to have only a minimal effect in a crash where the riders head hits the deck.

It's like the people in london all the time, front light illuminating their front brake calipers and rear light half dead and pointed 90deg to the right. They seem to think that the act of having lights on their bike means they can be seen. Round here my fellow stuuuuudunts rarely bother with any kind of lighting at all, saves them wasting money on something they won;t use properly I guess.

Personally I would like to see helmet regulations made tough enough for them to afford quality protection, instead of probable protection. I would still wish them to remain the choice of the individual though.

I stick to my pro-helmet, pro-choice stance.

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Personally I would like to see helmet regulations made tough enough for them to afford quality protection, instead of probable protection. I would still wish them to remain the choice of the individual though.

I stick to my pro-helmet, pro-choice stance.

There are already helmets out there that will give you protection, and it is already up to you if you want to wear one.

domtyler said:
There are already helmets out there that will give you protection, and it is already up to you if you want to wear one.

Well yes, and I made sure I bought a Snell B-90A certified helmet (Spesh Decibel), but it is a very low level of protection as far as various bit of research suggest.

I dunno really, I've paids me monies and takens me choice, hopefully its a good one.

1166895.jpg

I quite like the look of these helmets.Where can you get them from?

Got to be more stylish than the one I have got.

Blue

Legendary Member
Terminator said:
1166895.jpg

How to look, and be, cool this summer!!!!

civ

Anything rather than admit fault then :angry: (Her, not you)

Slightly off topic, I usually ride with a helmet, and went out without one yesterday. My head got cold :biggrin:

bonj2

Terminator said:
1166895.jpg

nice! a chap at my work has got one of those exactly like that!
it's like normal helmet material on the inside but then a metal shell over that.
slightly heavier than a normal helmet though.

Will1985 said:
Excuse the ignorance JrG, but what is BSO? I get the inference of a Halfords type bike, but not what it stands for.
bike shaped object?

andygates

Wow, it's a potty for sweat. I hope you ride slowly :biggrin:

And are they compulsory? No. That's victim-blaming, and it is a disgusting habit. If drivers don't want to crush your skull to a delicious brainy pulp, they shouldn't drive over your head.

Top Bottom