Are helmets compulsory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blue said:
How to look, and be, cool this summer!!!!

That's pretty much like the first helmet I ever bought, except not as ugly ;) And if you buy one with a bit of room in it, you could grow greenhouse plants as you cycle.

atbman

Veteran
BSO also synonym for POS

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Iv'e got a helmet but never wear it. I find them too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and they still look a bit nerdy. I would argue that all car drivers and passengers should be compelled to wear helmets as there are far more serious head injuries caused in car accidents that could be prevented with helmet wearing.. And why not make all pedestrians wear helmets.
I think wearing a cycle helmet may give people a false sense of security causing them to take unnecessary risks.

One of the reasons motorists like helmets - you cost less on their insurance when they knock you off.....

If only the same enthusiasm, time and expense that goes into helmet promeotion was sepent on trainingthese driver!

Elmer Fudd said:
2315168054_2b9365388d_o.jpg
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Once you get to my age, there is less hair, and you get lovely sun tan lines...............

Just where the vents are!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
02GF74 said:
Just wondering.

Reason for asking is some dopey woman goes across one of those "dustbin" roundabout without looking right and I was coming from the right! :biggrin::biggrin:

Anyway, she parks up at sports centre to I pedal up to her to ask here if she was aware of what she did.

So she starts a go at me for not wearing a helmet!

FFS like it is my fault and not hers for not looking!!!

Anyway, hence the question.

I for sure have not heard that it is compulsory by law to wear a helmet - any one know for sure?

The simple reply is "cycle helmets are NOT compulsory by law, but driving with due care and attention is".

In countries where cycle helmet have been made compulsory by law, the result has been to make cycling more dangerous not less, see here for details...

Tynan

Veteran
not true

although I agree you can make an argument with statistics, but then you can make them say anything if you use the right lack of vigour, as that report does

But if you are not wearing a helmet - the injuries are your fault!

THe Cyclists defence fund has fought two cases, one where a young boy was hit by a car in a layby, and the insurers tried to cut the claim because he had no helmet.

The second was a cyclist who was killed after being struck form behind - again there was an attempt to reduce the payments.

CotterPin

Gosh, Tynan, that was quick. You read that entire document and came up with your considered opinion in eight minutes. Are you a politician? :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Elmer Fudd said:
If helmets became compulsory would sikhs (or others) be exempt on religious grounds ?
What do you call a sikh riding a bike?
Balan Singh.

Blue

Legendary Member
Cunobelin said:
But if you are not wearing a helmet - the injuries are your fault!

THe Cyclists defence fund has fought two cases, one where a young boy was hit by a car in a layby, and the insurers tried to cut the claim because he had no helmet.

The second was a cyclist who was killed after being struck form behind - again there was an attempt to reduce the payments.

That hasn't anything to do with compulsory use and it's wrong to say the suggestion is that no helmet means no damages.

Even prior to seatbelt wearing laws for motorists there was case law that decided that damages to drivers/passengers could be reduced where it could be shown that the wearing of an available seatbelt could have reduced the injury - a typical reduction was in the 15-25% range. The insurers would have been using a similar arguement Re:helmets and are entitled to do so. They would have to prove the possibility of injury reduction - if they could it's fair to reduce the payment by the appropriate percentage as that is the way the law works. Remember though, they would have to prove their assertions and that may be difficult.

BTW, I'm not trying to raise any arguement for helmet use. I wear a helmet but I don't give a toss if others decide it's not for them and could care even less about helmets being made compulsory.

Tynan

Veteran
CotterPin said:
Gosh, Tynan, that was quick. You read that entire document and came up with your considered opinion in eight minutes. Are you a politician? :sad:

perhaps there's ways of finding these documents without the help of the anti helmet crew on this site?

Top Bottom