Are helmets compulsory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunobelin View Post
But if you are not wearing a helmet - the injuries are your fault!

THe Cyclists defence fund has fought two cases, one where a young boy was hit by a car in a layby, and the insurers tried to cut the claim because he had no helmet.

The second was a cyclist who was killed after being struck form behind - again there was an attempt to reduce the payments.
That hasn't anything to do with compulsory use and it's wrong to say the suggestion is that no helmet means no damages.

Even prior to seatbelt wearing laws for motorists there was case law that decided that damages to drivers/passengers could be reduced where it could be shown that the wearing of an available seatbelt could have reduced the injury - a typical reduction was in the 15-25% range. The insurers would have been using a similar arguement Re:helmets and are entitled to do so. They would have to prove the possibility of injury reduction - if they could it's fair to reduce the payment by the appropriate percentage as that is the way the law works. Remember though, they would have to prove their assertions and that may be difficult.

BTW, I'm not trying to raise any arguement for helmet use. I wear a helmet but I don't give a toss if others decide it's not for them and could care even less about helmets being made compulsory.

You really need to reread the post....

That hasn't anything to do with compulsory use and it's wrong to say the suggestion is that no helmet means no damages.

I stated that there were two attempts to reduce damages in cases where there was no "fault" attributed to the cyclist - there is no statement about compulsory use or a sugestion that no helmet means no damages - the word used were reduce and cut - the interpretation of "no damages is entirely your misreading.

Secondly - Case Law (as I understand it) would need to prove that a cyclist was negligent - this has not happened

The successful defence by the CDF has been that there was no legal requirement and that the evidence for helmets is equivocal. No-one has yet challenged this in law - so no case law to support the insurers.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
BentMikey said:
Tynan has FAITH in his helmet! Praise the $DEITY!

To be fair to Tynan, whether you agree with him or not, given that he has recently had a big off on his cycle then you can understand his viewpoint.

PrettyboyTim

Tynan said:
not pretty enough either

I'm getting a new one fairly soon, been looking and can't find anything cool/wacky

any ideas?

I want to attach Asterix-style wings to my helmet.

I wonder what I should fabricate them from?

CotterPin

Tynan said:
perhaps there's ways of finding these documents without the help of the anti helmet crew on this site?

Thought that might be the case, Tynan. It also sounds like you probably have done your research thoroughly.

However I question your "anti-helmet crew" comment. Having quickly looked back through this specific thread I can only find one comment that could be described as "anti-helmet". All the rest that express a view are "anti-compulsion".

I would put myself in that camp as well.

My main concern about the wearing of helmets is that some people consider them a magic bucket of invincibility. Once they have donned it they can now go up the inside of lorries, jump red lights, ride without lights, all with impunity, believing their magic bucket will protect them. And such is the efficacy of the magic bucket is that it doesn't matter how you wear it - on the back of the head, backwards, straps undone, hey, even slung over the handlebars.

My personal take is that this is because too much emphasis is placed on wearing a helmet as opposed to other measures to keep the cyclist safe, for instance not doing all the things I mentioned above, or adopting an assertive cycling technique.

If people are going to be told to wear helmets I would like it to be in the broader context of staying safe with appropriate advice on when and when not a helmet will protect you, and not just the knee-jerk "wear a helmet, it will keep you safe" advice that is often trotted out.

Tynan

Veteran
I was being a tad glib but there are some on here and clearly elsewhere that will say that helmets are dangerous in that they make someone more likely to have an accident and offer little real protection in return, I'm very aware of the arguments and reports and surveys and find them unconvincing at best compared to my own opinion based on experience and observation

frankly I think it's an argument of justification put forward by people that don't want to wear helmets, concious or subconscious

of course they're not compulsory, it's a matter of personal choice

who's old enough to remember the arguments against people having to wear seat belts?

darth_vader_mask.JPG
My new helmet.:biggrin:

Noginsox

Nogin Sox is a simple idea that makes perfect sense - old or young, they make wearing a protective helmet fun! Nogin Sox are a creative new series of soft-foam helmet covers that easily attach to your protective helmet with
Velcro patches.

yhst-84490215588543_1981_2384203.gif

yhst-84490215588543_1981_899333.jpg

Zoom

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Wot's a BSO?
a bike shaped object ; defined as a bike for less than £99.99 usually with full suspension; it's purpose is to put the rider off cycling.

in the old days before mountain bikes a BSO could be fashioned from a racing bike by simply turning the drop bars upwards and deflating the tyres a bit.

Tynan

Veteran
them hats look good but I'm thinking heavy and impractical when you;re not wearing them as well as when you are

Im also thinking about the grippy properties of foam.

There is a reason that there is a smooth shell to helmets - to try and let it slip against a glancing impact instead of grip and twist the riders head.

Plus I think helmets look cool, and wouldn't want to cover mine up ;) :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Im also thinking about the grippy properties of foam.

There is a reason that there is a smooth shell to helmets - to try and let it slip against a glancing impact instead of grip and twist the riders head.

Plus I think helmets look cool, and wouldn't want to cover mine up ;) :ohmy:

wore an old skool cheapo helmet for ever, had accidents several times where everything but the helmet got scrapes and knocks and bangs, except in my most recent smash where I recall the sound of the new modern posh helmet 'clipping' the tarmac

only it had cracked three of the struts of the inner

think you have a point there term

Top Bottom