Are inter-post links preserved when a thread is moved?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
When a thread (e.g. a multiple-post travelogue thread, such as the one I'm about to write) is moved to another sub-forum, are links from one post in that thread to another post in that same thread preserved? Or do they get broken?
I'd like to link some of the posts in my upcoming travelogue to each other, but I won't do that if they'll end up being broken links.

A typical link to a post in any thread will look like this:
CC_URL/threads/THREAD_NAME.THREAD_NUM/page-PAGE_NUM#post-POST_NUM
except that if it's a single-page thread, the page-PAGE_NUM part is omitted.

So in more technical terms (yes, I'm a software engineer, and simply can't help myself :addict:), when a thread is moved to another sub-forum, will THREAD_NUM remain constant, and if / when a thread reaches multiple pages, are the links automatically updated to insert page-PAGE_NUM into the link?

I know there was a previous thread discussing broken links, but it never mentioned the case of threads being moved to another location.

Yours in geek,
--- Victor.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So in more technical terms (yes, I'm a software engineer, and simply can't help myself :addict:)
So not really an Engineer then? :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
When a thread (e.g. a multiple-post travelogue thread, such as the one I'm about to write) is moved to another sub-forum, are links from one post in that thread to another post in that same thread preserved? Or do they get broken?
I'd like to link some of the posts in my upcoming travelogue to each other, but I won't do that if they'll end up being broken links.

A typical link to a post in any thread will look like this:

except that if it's a single-page thread, the page-PAGE_NUM part is omitted.

So in more technical terms (yes, I'm a software engineer, and simply can't help myself :addict:), when a thread is moved to another sub-forum, will THREAD_NUM remain constant, and if / when a thread reaches multiple pages, are the links automatically updated to insert page-PAGE_NUM into the link?

I know there was a previous thread discussing broken links, but it never mentioned the case of threads being moved to another location.

Yours in geek,
--- Victor.
Previous thread about broken links included the fact that the number of posts per page had changed(Decreased by five a page). The link had the old/original page number included, which was no longer the correct one.

Posting now shouldn't affect the links.

Shaun

Founder
Yes, they will be preserved. It was a problem some time ago when I changed the number of posts displayed per page - it broke some links, but that won't be changing again whilst we're on this version of the software so you'll be fine. :okay:

The newer version of the forum software doesn't include page numbers in the links so it doesn't have the same flaw. :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, they will be preserved. It was a problem some time ago when I changed the number of posts displayed per page - it broke some links, but that won't be changing again whilst we're on this version of the software so you'll be fine. :okay:

The newer version of the forum software doesn't include page numbers in the links so it doesn't have the same flaw. :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:
Thanks, @Shaun, just what I needed to hear.

Regards,
--- Victor.

Top Bottom