Are my legs wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chuffy, I think age may play a part.
For donkeys years my legs were pretty sinuous, wiry, nay even skinny, but over the last few years they have become much more solid and tree-trunky. Maybe I grind more than I used too (I was never a spinner) and I haven't ridden fixed for nearly 5 years.
I know what you meen about the difference though. Also loosing flexibility quickly too.... or maybe it's where all the beer ends-up.

bonj2

shimano%20rd6600.jpg

monnet

Guru
walker said:
have you tried massaging them?

I'd second that. I've had phases where I've been very fit, putting in alot of miles and my legs have taken a while to get up to speed on the bike and off the bike they feel leaden. Massage is a great a help as it loosens the muscles and gets the tension out.

Another option is to have a bit of a break from the bike (don't panic, just a few days or a weekend) and make a concious effort to stay off your feet, do no exercise and generally relax. It rests your whole body, your legs especially and then when you get back on the bike you do so with renewed vigour.

simonali

Guru
I found an old pic of me in shorts back when I was doing 200-350 miles a week and me legs are so skinny! I remember them being bigger. :biggrin:

I do more walking than cycling these days being a dog owner, so my legs look different to back then, but I do have quite nice defined calf muscles nowadays. Maybe the walking has done this? (I do at least an hour at a high-ish pace every day, so 4 or 5 miles)

col

Legendary Member
Do some basic stretches daily,nothing to hard,just enought to limber up,also if you do a lot of hills,the fact you cant drop into a faster cadence could be the problem?Just like buildng muscles,the harder the pedalling the more likely it is you will build muscle,you need to be able to lighten the effort when things start getting harder,so gears would be the best way to go in my opinion.Light and easy ie spinning will shape,but hard and slower,will build,so get some more gears,and start making it easier to spin.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think its a flexibility issue as well...
I do keep a moderately high cadence, but i still suffer from bl00dy stiff legs. By the same token, i do have a weak back which does cause me problems with flexibility anyway.
Stretching does help a lot...
Is it the hamstrings the get tight ? When i sit on the floor, legs in front of me, i can scarecely pull my feet back, they are incredibly inflexible or tight.

Which is a shame really, my legs are probably my best feature on an otherwise light'ish frame.

bonj2

I get that a bit aswell gbb - i've cycled 3 days out of 4 this week and my legs feel quite stiff, not really in a bad way though - more like the muscles feel 'dense'.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
bonj said:
I get that a bit aswell gbb - i've cycled 3 days out of 4 this week and my legs feel quite stiff, not really in a bad way though - more like the muscles feel 'dense'.
That's it! :evil:

gbb - I also have a crap back and am very inflexible. But I hate yoga and all that bendy flexy stuff. Bugger...

col

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
That's it! :thumbsup:

gbb - I also have a crap back and am very inflexible. But I hate yoga and all that bendy flexy stuff. Bugger...

It doesnt have to be a chore Chuffy,i tend to do a little while watching the telly,just gentle and hold it for a minute,then change,the lower back is easy enough,just bend forward and let your arms dangle and relax for a few seconds,do it a few times a day and you should feel the difference,i know i did after my long lay off.It is worth it:smile:

Top Bottom