Are other cyclist's hating on us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ewwww, you ride a Brommie.... :whistle:

:laugh:

I think a significant issue is the division of being viewed as a particular 'type' of cyclist, even within the cycling community, rather than simply as a person a bike.

My experience is that the people who 'choose' to cycle as they can't justify the expense of a car, and see it as simply something that gets them from a to b, and as happened when cycling was at its peak as a mode of transport, requiring no special outfit or equipment, tend to have a more relaxed attitude to bike styles and makes than people that follow specific genres of cycling, almost as a fashion accessory. The new golf, as it has been described.

It's part of the attitude that currently separates us from the Dutch, and makes comparisons less meaningful. Perceptions of people on bikes rather than cyclists should be a goal to strive for.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
So,I find my fellow bikers tend to be a bit condescending towards me, and seem astounded that I cover vast amounts of ground. Roadies in particular tend to look down upon the Brompton. Is it a thing?
It's just a common human characteristic. Whatever the group (be it coffee drinkers, hi-fi buffs, motorists etc etc) there will be sub-groups who feel the need to be superior to others. Don't take it personally.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have a different tale to tell.
My wife and I were cycling down to the Park on a sunny summers evening last year. A “ proper roadie” zoomed past, lovely looking bike, shades, lycra, the full monty. As he overtook he started to brake and then circled back, he cycled alongside me and asked about the bike and complemented me on how great it looked.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I have never found any cyclist who does not like my Brompton. They know I am not there to race them.
I agree with this 100% - plus I get many nice comments about my Brommie. People want to know more about it - is it comfortable, how fast can it go, what's it like on hills, can you tour with it?

Brommies don't suit everyone but then nor do eBikes or carbon road bikes or any other bike you could mention.

purpan

I find roadies (I suppose I’m one of those as well) are generally very interested or polite when I’m on either my folder (a Tern) or when I’m on the kickbike.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'm with @Tenkaykev I had roadies stop & talk to me when I regularly rode the Brompton. There will always be people who dislike certain things, be it bikes, cars, the wrong clothes, etc., but in general I found people tended to be interested in the Brompton and perhaps wished they could justify the need for one themselves.
Very much this @annedonnelly
A couple of other incidents: pre lockdown we were out on a casual Sunday ride and stopped for coffee and cake at a large M+S which had a café. We part folded the bikes and grabbed a table. There was a family with a bored teenage girl at an adjacent table who took a great interest in the mechanics of the folding process, ( and announced to her parents that she had to have one!)
The second was when I was passing a local skate park with a group of young lads performing various stunts on their bikes. A couple of them shouted “ nice bike “ ( I’m not sure if they were taking the p*ss ) I stopped my bike, climbed off and did a quick fold/unfold to which the response was “ Sick “ and “ how f**king cool is that” I was asked if I could show them again as they were fascinated by how it worked.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What is it that they saying? I honestly have never heard of any cyclist looking down on*, or being condescending to a person whose bike is different to theirs, not seriously anyway. I've certainly made the odd groan worthy "joke" on here over the years (I've referred to Bromptons as clown / circus bikes more than once) but it's purely banter, and I do really like Bromptons. We all get joshed a bit, see "tourers / CTC members wear sandals", "carbon roadies never wave", "bent riders are all eccentric weirdos" and more. I'd be interested to hear what was / is said.

(* Caveat: Except Skippy of course, he quite possibly loathes anyone who has spent more than 16 pounds 70 pence on a bike 😄).

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
My respect for Brompton went up just after watching a play where Mark Rylance was the main character. Waiting outside after it finished with some friends and out he comes with a yellow Brompton. He had a friendly chat before riding off into the dark.

Top Bottom