Are other cyclist's hating on us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always thought the Brompton owners were top of the social tree of cycling. Or the Elite class.

Firstly it is an expensive bike. It owners are typically well off, cultured and I guess better educated. They are certainly better dressed. The accessories in this case the bag is also expensive. So the target market is not the common man. I have yet to see a riff raff ride a Brompton in my life. In fact, people stop to admire a Brompton not only because of its engineering and quality it is also because they can't afford one.

I think it's true a lot of roadies on modern stuff only acknowledge their own tribe, and TBH when I'm trundling along on one of my old steel jobs I also tend to ignore them, unless they wave or speaks first.
Vintage riders seem a bit less cliqey about bike genre so long as the other rider is also on something not modern. I've had riders of old steel tourers and racers wave at me, even if I've been on one of my MTB's or a 3-speed. Likewise I will acknowledge them if they are on a different type of bike to what I'm on, so long as it is not a modern plastic one.
I don't bother with the obvious BSO's and cheapo suspension bikes. Most of the people who ride those are not cycling through choice, and they are rarely sociable.

And the prize for the most generalisations in a single post goes to............

heathenking

Über Member
I'll have you know my average bike purchase spend is over £25!

I don't like the way Bromptons handle, and consider them overpriced for a gas pipe frame, but I don't have a problem with Brompton riders. I know two personally, and one of them goes touring on a Dawes Galaxy, which couldn't be more different. He owns the Brompton purely because it's small enough to fold up and get on the bus with if he doesn't feel like riding home on (or rather has consumed too much beer).

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
Arrowfoot, cheers matey,born n bred South London. Raised on a council estate,state sink school etc etc. I'm living proof serial underachieving can be overcome. :laugh:
But yes you're broadly correct in your post.
Yes Brompton is an expensive hobby, but not when you compare the cost of other makes.Some are much more.Also travel is costly, a bike soon covers its cost. If you live in London travel is prohibitive in its cost to many. So 1300 on a bike is soon recovered, plus the other benifits stack up nicely.

johnnyb47

Guru
I will speak or nod to anybody whatever bike they ride, as at the end of the day we are all people enjoying cycling for whatever needs it provides us.
There is a small group of cyclists that do irritate me though, and that's these youngsters who ride around in large groups on mainly mtbs pulling wheelies in the middle of the road.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Arrowfoot, cheers matey,born n bred South London. Raised on a council estate,state sink school etc etc. I'm living proof serial underachieving can be overcome. :laugh:
But yes you're broadly correct in your post.
Yes Brompton is an expensive hobby, but not when you compare the cost of other makes.Some are much more.Also travel is costly, a bike soon covers its cost. If you live in London travel is prohibitive in its cost to many. So 1300 on a bike is soon recovered, plus the other benifits stack up nicely.

Council House? Luxury! I used to dream of living in an house…

mitchibob

Über Member
The rules of this secret waving club seem very complicated, with lots of caveats and exceptions.

I'm glad I'm not a member. I'd be sure to do it all wrong.
Once you're on roads that it's safe to do so, why not give a little way to fellow cyclists coming the other way.. and say hello to those you're passing and
I always thought the Brompton owners were top of the social tree of cycling. Or the Elite class.

Firstly it is an expensive bike. It owners are typically well off, cultured and I guess better educated. They are certainly better dressed. The accessories in this case the bag is also expensive. So the target market is not the common man. I have yet to see a riff raff ride a Brompton in my life. In fact, people stop to admire a Brompton not only because of its engineering and quality it is also because they can't afford one.
I'd argue that the cycle to work schemes have allowed many that thought that a Brompton was too expensive to be able to afford one as an extremely practical commuter bike, at least in London. Certainly not particularly Elitist... just people that can appreciate an exceptionally practical bike.

RoMeR

Über Member
David Byrne of Talking Heads fame used to take a folding bike with him when clubbing around New York so if he wasn't enjoying one he could quickly move to another. Is that cool or what?.

I would say it all depends on why you ride a bike, I ride a bike for a few reasons, it is easy to stop when I want to take photos, that is my hobby, it keeps me mobile, will not say fit, I am over weight, but without the bikes I would be worse, and at the moment it does not need a licence, at 70 with old paper licence and no valid passport having a problem getting driving licence renewed. I enjoy the tow paths and cycle tracks, but there are non local, so only 9 miles to tow path, but armco barriers mean the local roads are not really cycle friendly, so being able to put the bike in the car boot is good, it is secure, and I can put it in most cars does not have to be on a cycle rack.

However I think it is not too obvious that it is a folding e-bike anyway, but being an e-bike and folding does mean some feel cheating and not proper cycling. I find small wheels a problem with balance at low speed, my wheels are 26" so it does not look at a quick glance any different to any other mountain bike.

In normal times I can take the bike on the train, classed as a dog! It is a heritage line, so three steps onto the viewing platform of the carriages, and hard to get standard bike around the corner into the carriage, and it takes up the wheel chair space. This is OK going to Welshpool, but for the return if the space is being used by a wheel chair then no room for bike. OK unlikely on last train of the day, but having to ride those 8 miles which are not flat, the railway is one of the steepest non rack in UK, and the road is worse.

So really don't care what others think, folding bike makes sense, as to if folded can it go by bus not sure, not tried it? Also not sure if folded if charged on the train, normal bike is £3.50 which will not break the bank. But I find people are really helpful, sit down on my back pack seat and other cyclists stop and ask if I am OK. I have a large beard and look like Father Christmas, which may help. But even car drivers stop and ask if OK, including women on their own, which although I am no predator was surprised they would stop.

So maybe because I live in a small town in Mid Wales, where all the locals seem friendly. Or maybe they feel if they don't they will not get any Christmas presents next Christmas? I have a set answer for the kids who say are you FC either Shush I am incognito, or Ho Ho Ho.

Milzy

Guru
Many Roadies are actually nobbers. There’s nobbers in every group. Bromptons are cool especially for work around cities.
Ignore them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

...and some of us have more than one Brompton...:cheers:

Top Bottom