Are people a little more polite now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't think much has changed here, traffic volume is down a little but we're not far from pre lockdown levels, when the lockdown had just started and there weren't many vehicles on the road it was better but we're now going back to how it used to be.

I’ve noticed that people have gone back to unnecessary car journeys and that all those born again exercisers of lockdown have disappeared. I can no longer hear the wildlife and there’s the constant drone of motorised traffic.
This...😢

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I would say there are more considerate drivers around now than before lockdown however there are still plenty of idiots around unfortunately. I find it depends a bit on what area I'm riding in. The worst thing is that traffic is almost back to pre-lockdown levels. People go on about saving the planet and being green but I think some people aren't really prepared to take action if it 'inconveniences' them. So expect a spike in air pollution as well:sad:. Boris might have the best of intentions with his active travel campaign but it's going to be a hard thing to achieve, as it's going to require a radical changes in many people's lifestyles. I've noticed that the number of what you might call 'newbie cyclists' I see on the road seems to be significantly down from March/April.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Purely anecdotal but I’ve noticed a consistent and significant change of behaviour on the roads.
just to contextualise, I’m a firm believer that poor driving needs to be challenged where appropriate, but considerate driving also needs to be recognised too; my personal experience is overwhelmingly positive. I tend to make a point of a wave or thumbs up if a driver waits patiently for a few seconds behind me and gives me plenty of room when passing. I’ve noticed (since lockdown) that this is now being returned with a wave/thumbs up in the rear view & often a blip of the hazards (lorry drivers tend to give a couple of toots when they’ve passed).
So what’s happening???? More drivers also cyclists perhaps, or people just being a bit nicer to each other?
Interesting thread idea and contributions. A good read, thanks.

Consideration and patience have generally worked well for us and this is mostly acknowledged with a toot, hand wave, thumbs up, or hazard lights. There's an idea there of sharing positive behaviour and respect.

Some will though, with a stony face, never acknowledge a courtesy: I get the distinct impression there are drivers who find the idea of a bicycle giving way, or seemingly having any say in traffic decision making, to be unappealing/ invalid.

We've found regional variations too: the density of population and road use, alongside a cultural inclination/ disinclination to be open and friendly*, are also likely to be factors in the exchanges that we have on the roads. It's been undoubtedly worse the further south we've been in terms of aggression, close passes, and a pitiful lack of patience. Yet, we're not going to be intimidated or fazed.

Over the weekend, Kent Council have commendably installed several 20mph zones in the town where we live - we'll see how that affects things and how it is controlled - new speed cameras?

* Having been in London and the South East for the last 10+ years, it was a lovely reminder that there is a different world (outside of the SE) when recently hearing someone from Yorkshire say "We talk to strangers and look people in the eye." :wacko:

edit: 'We talk to strangers and look people in the eye' doesn't do well down here. Or as this person eloquently put it : 'Once I had lived in Glasgow I thought Edinburgh people were very standoffish and unfriendly (then I moved to Kent and found that Edinburgh people were not unfriendly).'

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I find there are a lot of polite cosiderate drivers, but there are still some dickheads who don't think they have to give way to cyclists, I encountered one yesterday, its a narrow bridge the oncoming traffic has to give way to traffic in the direction I was going, so I take the middle of the road hopefully to stop the car stood waiting to come through from setting off and squeezing me to one side, did it stop him no, he set off so I had to move to the side and he passed with condderably less than 1.5 meter between us, I put my hand up to indicate why, all I got was a load of abuse, ok I survived and to be fair I have had much closer passes, but he was in the wrong and didn't like me telling him.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I’ve noticed that people have gone back to unnecessary car journeys and that all those born again exercisers of lockdown have disappeared. I can no longer hear the wildlife and there’s the constant drone of motorised traffic.
Same :rolleyes:

Once more shame on me for having any hope that humanity could effect any real positive change - looks like the carrot hasn't worked so next time we'll get the stick... and we'll deserve it.

BigMeatball

Drivers are more rude in the city, and more polite in the countryside.

Even too polite, to be honest. Like last week when a car overtook me and stopped 100m later, asked me if they could speak with me and said my jersey was TOO GREEN and could potentially blend in with the grass on the side of the road so it would be for my benefit to change jersey. I found that just as annoying as someone honking at me so I just laughed, told them to f**k off and kept on riding.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Drivers are more rude in the city, and more polite in the countryside.

Even too polite, to be honest. Like last week when a car overtook me and stopped 100m later, asked me if they could speak with me and said my jersey was TOO GREEN and could potentially blend in with the grass on the side of the road so it would be for my benefit to change jersey. I found that just as annoying as someone honking at me so I just laughed, told them to f**k off and kept on riding.

Ever considered a job in the diplomatic service?

OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

Really interesting reading all the responses. I‘m discouraged to hear my experience isn’t necessarily typical. Hope I haven’t tempted fate & get taken out tomorrow!😀
I guess part of the point of the post was to ask the question that should we as bike riders ‘do our bit’ to reinforce positive behaviour? Does it make any difference? - if people are going to behave like di**s they will anyway? For my part I enjoy the positive interaction with other road users so will carry on (until suggested take out happens!!).

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would say there are more considerate drivers around now than before lockdown however there are still plenty of idiots around unfortunately. I find it depends a bit on what area I'm riding in. The worst thing is that traffic is almost back to pre-lockdown levels. People go on about saving the planet and being green but I think some people aren't really prepared to take action if it 'inconveniences' them. So expect a spike in air pollution as well:sad:. Boris might have the best of intentions with his active travel campaign but it's going to be a hard thing to achieve, as it's going to require a radical changes in many people's lifestyles. I've noticed that the number of what you might call 'newbie cyclists' I see on the road seems to be significantly down from March/April.

Such talk means that OTHER PEOPLE should do all these "green, save the planet" things, not the person suggesting it. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not totally sure that people have changed their behaviour very much when driving, but, I have noticed that people appear to have become more friendly when walking, ie, saying Good Morning, etc.... the occasional smile.....

Top Bottom