Are rotors important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silk186

I will definitely pick up a pair of disc brakes in the next big sale. I'm pretty set on getting Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake unless anyone else can recommend something better in the same price range. I would settle for a set of Shimano Deore M615 if they were significantly cheaper than the M675.

Bellow are my current brakes. magura julie with unknown rotors. Is it worth it to replace the rotors? I understand that they come in 3 different sizes and that I will need an adapter for the new brakes that is dependent on the rotor size.

On Sunday someone decided to open their truck door just as I was going buy at 6:30 in the morning. I managed to brake and shift weight so I hit it with my back wheel and flipped over my side instead of over the handle bars. My rear brake has lost it's power. I'm hoping to decrease my stopping distance in case something happens like this again but I'm also a student on a budget. Advice and recommendations appreciated.

$_862.JPG $_86.JPG

zizou

Veteran
If your rear brake has lost its power then it might just be that the pad is contaminated (with oil for example) rather than the brakes and rotor needing replaced.

OP
OP
silk186

silk186

I took it into my local bike club and they said it can't be fixed and to buy new brakes. My question is about if I should replace my rotors at the same time and if so which ones and size to go for.

Shadowfax

Well anything can be fixed with suficent skills and knowledge, however if you insist on replacing the brakes the rotors will only be a small percentage of the total cost. Recently got a pair of decent 180mm floaters on ebay for £20. have a look at some of the older Deore brakes best bang for bucks still plenty for sale on ebay.

OP
OP
silk186

silk186

I can buy a set of Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brakes for £60 or a set or Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake + Rotor for £100 from Chain reaction. I haven't seen any deals near this good on ebay.
Why did you choose to replace your rotors and why did you go with 160mm rotors. Is the only difference between a deore and slx rotor weight?

Shadowfax

There you go then, a rotor is a rotor standard size you pays your money and you takes your choice. i went for 180s for extra power but whatever you go for make sure you get the right adapters.

OP
OP
silk186

silk186

Shadowfax

That is only the rear brake. I can get a set from ChainReaction for the same price, and in case you didn't notice it's an auction.

It just sold out but this is the set, marlins has it for £70. I'm expecting better deals in January

I'm not asking about which brakes to get. I'm asking about if I should replace the rotors.
That was for one brake the £65.99 one ?

Shadowfax

Got that one get them then, what are you umming and arring about ? They'll be sold out too by the time you decide !

Top Bottom