Are some innertubes more puncture resistant than others?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I use schwalbe tubes, well talced.....i avoid spesh tubes like the plague as they just seem to puncture to easy for me anyway...maybe just bad luck but thats my perception...the schwalbes seem thicker....
Counterpoint. I use nothing but spesh tubes and am happy with then. I used several schwalbe tubes and they all blew out on me. I still have the others but don't want to install then due to my precious rotten luck. Its possibly a bad batch or 'cheap' supplier I bought then from.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Counterpoint. I use nothing but spesh tubes and am happy with then. I used several schwalbe tubes and they all blew out on me. I still have the others but don't want to install then due to my precious rotten luck. Its possibly a bad batch or 'cheap' supplier I bought then from.
swap ya lol!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Blow outs are almost certainly a tyre problem rather than an issue with the tube.

Makes no odds how thick the wall of the tube is. Once something penetrates the tyre there's no way on earth any inner tube will resist it. You may buy time with one particular brand over another, but you're talking yards rather than miles.

Punctures tend to come in batches and if one of those spells coincide with the purchase of a new tyre or tube it's tempting to blame those. 99% of the time it's just luck, your number came up and that's that.
This is the truest statement I've read in a long time. This forum (and all of the cycling world) is full of informal tyre reviews and opinions solely based on the lottery of the last puncture.

Blow outs are almost certainly a tyre problem rather than an issue with the tube.

I agree. It may be useful to point out that blow-outs of the type that make you check your pants, cannot happen inside the tyre. If there was a bang, the tube was outside the tyre when it popped. Sometimes there is evidence of this - a tyre torn along the bead or such. Sometimes there isn't evidence. This is because a tube on an overinflated tyre will pop out underneath the bead (which is too weak to resist the lifting force of the hard tube) and pop outside the tyre, but withdraw without leaving any forensic evidence of its deed. This does not mean the tube popped inside the tyre. It can't.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Makes no odds how thick the wall of the tube is. Once something penetrates the tyre there's no way on earth any inner tube will resist it. You may buy time with one particular brand over another, but you're talking yards rather than miles.
Punctures tend to come in batches and if one of those spells coincide with the purchase of a new tyre or tube it's tempting to blame those. 99% of the time it's just luck, your number came up and that's that.
I find that if I use a heavier tube, I can buy quite a lot of extra time, at least sometimes.
The trick is that the heavier tube is a larger size, rather than necessarily being thicker rubber (eg a 700x32-45 tube in a 700x28 tyre). If you use an oversized tube, it's not stretched, which makes it much harder for something sharp to cut it, and if it's a thorn, the tube can seal around the thorn, which plugs the hole in the tube quite well,
A bit of glass or flint can take quite a while to get through an unstretched tube, allowing me to get home by pumping every few miles, and a thorn plugged hole may allow 2 or 3 days before needing to pump.
By contrast, using a lightweight 700x18-25 tube in the same 700x28 tyre will more or less guarantee prompt and complete deflation as soon as anything sharp gets through the tyre, even by a fraction of a millimetre.

The exception to randomness when getting repeated punctures is when your tyre is about to wear out. With slick tyres, it's difficult to tell how much life is left in the tyre.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Of course if you puncture and ride across the same area again later you've increased chance of a second puncture probably because glass or whatever will still be there. Add in that the tyre is now compromised (unless you've patched that too, you have glued or patched it havent you?)...

runner

Guru
Of course if you puncture and ride across the same area again later you've increased chance of a second puncture probably because glass or whatever will still be there. Add in that the tyre is now compromised (unless you've patched that too, you have glued or patched it havent you?)...
Changed my commute route this year and avoided the area where the Saturday night children! smash and leave their broken bottles.....less punctures

The beauty of running slimes, was brought home to me just now. I hit a piece of broken bus shelter glass which would have taken out any of the spesh tyres (except the solids obviously) that I run. I have a slime tube though. So I pushed the piece of glass out of the tyre without having to remove the wheel. Checked to see that the tube wasn't totalled (it wasn't) re threaded the tyre, pumped it up with a gas canister, I was on my way in 5 minutes. I'm half way through the ride now and the tyre is still up. That saves a load of cocking about.

runner

Guru
The beauty of running slimes, was brought home to me just now. I hit a piece of broken bus shelter glass which would have taken out any of the spesh tyres (except the solids obviously) that I run. I have a slime tube though. So I pushed the piece of glass out of the tyre without having to remove the wheel. Checked to see that the tube wasn't totalled (it wasn't) re threaded the tyre, pumped it up with a gas canister, I was on my way in 5 minutes. I'm half way through the ride now and the tyre is still up. That saves a load of cocking about.

It is rare in my experience that I can just pick the offending piece of glass out of my tyre...usually a minute piece of glass becomes embeded and over a period causes a puncture. So it's all very well changing or patching the tube but if you don't find that offending piece of glass then it will happen all over again. Most of my punctures are caused by glass, in fact in the last 10 years of regular commuting only once have I had a "pinch" puncture and only once have I had a thorn puncture.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Slime is OK but it only lasts a couple of months once it reacts to the first puncture. Then it starts to congeal due to the fibres and air being mixed. Slime has got me home on several occassions. As Runner has said though - you've got to be sure all the glass has been removed. Sometimes that means having to take the tyre off the rim when you're home.

rebelpeter

I use the slime filled tubes on all my road bikes and never had a flat yet, they seal thorn punctures which are about 90% of all punctures. As for weight id prefer a few extra ounces weight than have punctures.

Top Bottom