Are some innertubes more puncture resistant than others?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Decathlon ones are virtually identical to Michelin. The only ones I've had issues with are Conti believe it or not. Valves are an issue as is the valve tube join
Strange innit, I always favour Contis..rarely ever get punctures. But, occasional bad batches can happen...
That said, personally I don't think the tube is really relevent. Im with Smokin Joe...once an object's got through the tyre...I find it hard to believe the tube can then resist it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strange innit, I always favour Contis..rarely ever get punctures. But, occasional bad batches can happen...
That said, personally I don't think the tube is really relevent. Im with Smokin Joe...once an object's got through the tyre...I find it hard to believe the tube can then resist it.

Oh yeh, I agree, once through, bang. I've just had a few bad ones. Vitoria have been my fav for years but aren't usually in the shops

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think they are much the muchness myself. Spesh, Vitoria, Halfords, Continental, Schwalbe, Michelin. Have used them all and don't seem to have a preference or more punctures with one brand over another.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I use Halfords. Had 5 punctures in a week, back in late September, but it was the tyres which were to blame. Having patched them all up again, I haven't had a puncture since October, but I think it's down to my tyres more than anything (bought new one shortly after, having thoroughly inspected the tyres, finding cracks and little slashes all over them, leaving the threads exposed), because some of the roads of late are covered in grit, glass, flint, thorns and allsorts of other cr*p at the moment and I really would have expected a flat by now TBH. I'm both thumbs up on Halfords.

markharry66

Über Member
Personally have been using decathlon tubes for last 12 months made no difference. will never use halfords, as in my experience they are not very good quality. Always seem to puncture, of have defect, even had valves come off when pumping them up. Had one explode on my while was on a bike a few years back after a 10 mile ride. For that reason alone will never use halfords tubes again. Personal choice.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ive added 50g of sealant in my tubes , dont get flats on my xc bikes touch wood .
im tubeless on the FS bike.but 1 a set of wheels are tubed and slimed which ive used this week as there skinny for xc
not had a puncture on the road bike yet? I run 90psi+ on 23mm No slime fitted.
suprised no one uses slime on comuter bikes ,I guess there not a race bike thing but 100g extra weight to save stopping is a ok trade off for me.

as for tubes ? Never had any probs with a particular brand..

Sandra6

Veteran
I tend to think punctures are just luck of the draw.
I did 3000 miles on the vita before I got a slow puncture - bizarrely the inner tube stayed inflated outside of the tyre but kept going down overnight. I got 2 punctures in 2 days on the Apollo metis after just a few hundred miles, but I did ride over some glass. My Halfords tube is holding up so far, yes, yes I do realise I will deserve the puncture I get today for saying that!

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm convinced road position and conditions have more to do with punctures than tyres and tubes.
I ride a strong secondary, probably 3 feet from the kerb or gutter, usually in the car wheel zone...i can't remember the last time i had a puncture.
If its been raining, you can bet all the bits of grit and flint, glass etc etc get washed out of their resting place...result, more punctures.
And then there's just plain good luck/bad luck...that happens and thats random.

One word - Slime!!

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I usually tag a few of the on one tubes onto a planet x order to get free delivery, No issues with them. They once sent me some conti tubes as a substitute which were fine but make sure the valve cores are well screwed in before taking your pump off :pump:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I usually tag a few of the on one tubes onto a planet x order to get free delivery, No issues with them. They once sent me some conti tubes as a substitute which were fine but make sure the valve cores are well screwed in before taking your pump off :pump:

Indeed.....

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
i use slime tubes with gator hardshell and have not had a fairy visit in 13 months. before that i had 7 punctures in 3 months

U

User6179

No difference in puncture resistance but Schwalbe seem to hold the air longer and are thicker and quite easy to patch as they seem to be slightly bigger when deflated than the others in the same size , Halfords are by far the worst for trying to patch as they have more seams than a patchwork quilt , the rest are much the same quality but found I think it was the Mitchelin ones didn't work with my mini pump.

Slime's or similar, and Latex tubes are better with regards to puncture resistance, than stock cheapo tubes. I run Slime's with Durano + Etape's on my Boardman Roady. I've done about 7000 miles without a puncture. A lot of those miles have been on back roads which couldn't have been more pointy crap strewn, if someone had gone up there and deliberately thrown pointy crap all over the road.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom