Are steel road bikes still being made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Enigma make a couple of steel framed bikes, like this one here: http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike/bike-enigma-extensor.html (one of the exhibitors at Bespoke Bristol, as noted by our sage Mickle)

And don't Cannondale still make one?

Not all carbon can be repaired/replaced. Or at least I could find nobody to fix mine last year. It's ok for F1 to fix their carbon machines but they have the budgets to do so! So now very reluctactant to go down carbon road again.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Roberts in Croydon still make custom steel bikes.

screenman

Legendary Member
Shadow, there are a couple of firms repairing carbon, later this year there will be another^_^ Personally I feel it is not beyond the skills of a reasonable DIY person.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Are we talking about a carbon stick, an aliminum stick, a titanium stick or a steel stick? Or is a stick by definition only ever made from wood? If so then there could be an argument for using a bamboo stick.

Oh yes, and as long as they look like this long may they continue :wub:
fud1005.colnago_bro.master_red_studio.png

Blimey!!

Quite! I need new underwear everytime I see that frameset :wub:

perfect colour scheme, quite understated and a fantastic looking frame

Shadow, there are a couple of firms repairing carbon, later this year there will be another^_^ Personally I feel it is not beyond the skills of a reasonable DIY person.

screenman,
a)which firms repair carbon?
b)later in the year, could you PM with contact details of 'the another'?!
c)'DIY person'; this definitely counts me out then!!!!!!

Roberts in Croydon still make custom steel bikes.

My latest build in steel and my dream bike at last, about as far from a "vintage novelty item" as you can get. Built from Columbus SL tubing and decked out with a mixture of Campag C Record and Chorus components, frame built in 1987 and bought from the 'bay. Rides as smooth as silk and in total cost me just under £400 to put together. There's plenty of older, near perfect steel frames out there as well as some builders such as Chas Roberts still making them.

Roberts.jpg

There are two points to make about my Roberts that are relevant to the OP. Firstly, there are still some good steel bikes out there, Chas Roberts will even put one together for you, but the price is high for the really good ones, just as carbon or Ti bikes aren't cheap either. Or you can go down the self build road as I've done where you buy a good, possibly fantastic, quality frame for not a lot and build it up with either the original vintage components or newer kit. I've done both and the total cost is very much less than you'd imagine.

For example; the Roberts frame cost me £133, 8 speed Ergo shifters £30, Campag monoplanar brakes £30, wheels complete with cassette, tyres and tubes £70, mechs £25, chainset £25, bb £5, pedals £5 (car boot sale gems!), stem and bars £10 (car boot sale yet again), seatpost £20, saddle £10, odds and sods about another £30. Total cost under £400. Ok, you have to know what's what and how to put it all together but there's a wealth of information out there that'll get you sorted. Most of these parts were sourced either from ebay or from the various cycling forums and I've rarely bought a bummer, especially from forum members.

The alternative is to go down the road that another forum member and my riding buddy, Rezillo, has followed. John bought a Guerciotti steel frame at a knock down price and has built it up with shiny new Shimano kit, Ultegra as I recall, and it looks as good as it rides. The steel frame gives a remarkably smooth ride but the bike as a whole does weigh more than his carbon Orbea Onix. I don't think the additional weight makes that much difference to the type of riding we do, but I'm sure the ride quality does. Mind you, the whole ensemble would be much improved if he'd used Campag rather than that far eastern stuff, but that's an argument we have every time we ride! Don't know how much the Guerciotti cost in total, but knowing John it's likely to have been good value.

Gordon

Top Bottom