Are steel road bikes still being made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think Carbon is easier to repair than steel. In some cases that is, embrace technology if it can survive Formula 1, and stunt airplanes then I would say it is fine for a simple bike frame.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the repair technique on F1 cars and stunt aeroplanes "take out the broken bit and replace it with a new bit"? Which is a little difficult if the "bit" in question is an entire bike frame.

Blue Steel

Love that Colnago. I'm a bit of a steel fan myself.

As for carbon being easier to repair than steel, I suspect it probably is, but isn't one of the plus points of steel the fact that it is less likely to need repairing in the first place?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd just like to say thankyou to you all for your comments and suggestions. I'm pleased that there is still enthusiasm for steel framed bikes. I'm not knocking carbon (and I know some would say that you can't or it will break(not me though)) I just don't know much about it and I have tried aliminium and find it a bit too rigid and titanium is beyond my pay scale. I just like steel and know where I stand with it.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have some handbuilt steel here and I still like them, just for me carbon is a bit different and I like different.

You should have been at Bespoke Bristol, there were more steel frames than you could shake a stick at. The show's exhibitors list is a who's who of (some of) the finest builders in the world.

Where is your proof? You write with confidence but you offer no proof.

I question the above judgement. I am no expert in the field of stick shaking, but I can do it if I need to.

If you were to display one million steel-framed bicycles in frot of me, I am pretty sure I could shake a stick at them. All of them.

Similarly two million, three million or more. Maybe as many as seven million in the right conditions.

I doubt that there are three million steel-framed cycles in all of Bristol, so I can only conclude that your data are flawed.

And please do not fall back on any other lazy and so-called empirical methodology. You cannot possibly know how many hot dinners I've had.

Where is your proof? You write with confidence but you offer no proof.

I question the above judgement. I am no expert in the field of stick shaking, but I can do it if I need to.

If you were to display one million steel-framed bicycles in frot of me, I am pretty sure I could shake a stick at them. All of them.

Similarly two million, three million or more. Maybe as many as seven million in the right conditions.

I doubt that there are three million steel-framed cycles in all of Bristol, so I can only conclude that your data are flawed.

And please do not fall back on any other lazy and so-called empirical methodology. You cannot possibly know how many hot dinners I've had.

Listen mate. I was there. I had the stick in my hand and believe you me, a largish percentage of those steel frames simply were not responding to the waving of it. If you can think of a reason - other than that there were simply too many steel frames for the length of stick and the intensity of the waving - then I'm all ears.

VamP

Banned
You can't just wave the stick willy nilly. There's a proper procedure to follow you know.

[definition mode]...it derives from the counting of farm animals, which one might do by pointing one’s stick at each in turn...[definition mode off]

Clearly, pointing your stick at more than one bike at any one time will serve no useful purpose whatsover. Now, if you are pointing one at a time, and assume 3 seconds per bike....

...you're looking at the best part of a year to complete the task Boris. And that's if you keep your sleeping and eating to a minimum.

Top Bottom