Are Tag alongs a worthwhile investment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grumpyfatman

We're trying to get our 5yr old out of the trailer and onto her bike but she's stubbornly refusing to attempt any riding without the stabilisers.
Her balance isn't terrible but I'd like to take her on some longer rides with the family and as much as I enjoy the trailer it's really awkward to transport and heavy going.
I've seen some great second hand tag alongs and am wondering if these are a better option. Something that will encourage her balance and teach her more. I can also use it with the youngest once the middle child outgrows it.
So does anyone have any experience with tag alongs, did they work for you or were they more trouble than they were worth?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We have a trail gator and found it invaluable to travel any sort of meaningful distance. My daughter was riding without stabalisers aged 2.5 and took the trail gator immediately, it gave us real freedom.

My son is currently 4.5, refuses to use a balance bike and is not even very keen on his bike with stabalisers, trying without stabalisers is a huge no-no for him. However, with the trail gator he loves riding.

I would recommend a tag along or trail gator as it gives you more freedom. The trail gator can be a pain to fit properly, but it gives you the added freedom to have your daughter ride part of the way, then be hooked for the rest.

It's a few years back, but I used a tag a a long for my daughter, which allowed us to get some longer distances on the bikes, and she really enjoyed it.
Her balance took a little while to get, once on her own un-stabilisered bike, but she took to cycling only around the park and back - she doesn't cycle now, although I'm not implying that this is because of the tag a long!

They're great fun!

The question is whether you are trying to get her to ride or ride with you

Google the Ballantyne method if the former

Firstly you need a good towing bike as you will have to brake for the entire rig

secondly you will find that as the child moves in their saddle, the movement is transferred as a "flick" to the seatpost that can be a little unnerving at first - but easy once you get used to it

Also fit a mirror as this allows you to see what the child is doing

As a whole they are brilliant and a goodteaching aid

Discuss junctions, signalling and other matters and watch as they progress their skills

Clanghead

Yes.

We first hired one for a ride around a country park, and based on how successfully that went, we then invested in a tandem tag-a-long for our two boys who are close in age - it was excellent for taking them to childminders, nursery, school, and other children's birthday parties at the weekends - saved the money and hassle of needing a second car. Riding it gave them a good awareness of traffic, balance, coordination, and how to indicate, and the front seat had 6 gears so it also helped them get used to the idea of gearing. As far as I remember, it lasted them from about 4 and 3 years old until they were about 10 and 9, although by the latter time it was strictly for fun and they were much better riding their own bikes. Might or might not have been contributory, but the younger one learnt to ride his own bike without stabilisers while he was still 3. By the ages of 6 and 5 they were strong enough to do all the pedalling on level roads.We sold it to a friend with younger children. It was great fun.

OP
OP
Grumpyfatman

Grumpyfatman

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
At the moment I'm not pushing her to get the stabilisers off but would like the option to put some distance in with the older daughter without the eldest being able to complain about the spare seat in the trailer too ;)

Sounds like a worthwhile investment, I've no worries about the brakes, it's being used with an MTB that has a good set of hydraulic disc brakes. If I can stop a trailer on an incline with the pair in it a tag along shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Grumpyfatman

Grumpyfatman

Job done, canyon trailabike found second hand. Middle child adores it and eldest is most jealous.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 232

Reddaddy67

Regular
spot on, hope you all have fun using this, we as a family were able to pop around locally with the small person on a tag along, also helped getting the wife out too :smile:

The most important component of a trailer bike is the hitch. Any slack or play in the hinging part of the hitch makes for a very unpleasant experience for both captain and stoker.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes. My daughter couldn't keep up and tired easily so we bought a Trek 6 speed, also meant she could get used to gears.

That said I probably need to put it up for sale. More or less mint condition.

My daughter Is 12 and the saddle has gone up about 4 inches in the last year on her bike. She is now very confident.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The most important component of a trailer bike is the hitch. Any slack or play in the hinging part of the hitch makes for a very unpleasant experience for both captain and stoker.

This. See too many trail gators not fitted properly and the poor kid is at 45 degrees.

The Trek

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This. See too many trail gators not fitted properly and the poor kid is at 45 degrees.

The Trek

That was my first experience - my wife screaming at me to stop as my daughter was hanging on for dear life. After that I actually snapped a u-bolt and carved a grove in the headtube making sure that never happened again.

Top Bottom